Boot from vdi file using VirtualBox

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by DannyD, Jan 3, 2014.

1. DannyD

DannyD Registered Member

One of the primary reasons I purchased HDM Pro 14 was to use the P2V feature. However, I'm having some trouble figuring out how to get it to work.

I am running Windows 8.1 64-bit. I have used the P2V feature to create a .vdi file of my OS for using with VirtualBox. I have downloaded the most recent version of VirtualBox version 4.3.6. When I try to boot the .vdi file in VirtualBox, it says, "FATAL: Could not read from the boot medium! System halted."

I have tried to research this issue on the web. It seems that a common response is that I need to attach a bootable .iso file to the virtual machine. So, I attached a copy of my Win 8.1 installation .iso file. However, now VirtualBox simply installs an instance of Win 8.1 in the virtual machine.

How do I boot the .vdi file created by Paragon in VirtualBox?

Thanks for any advice or pointers. I'm really wanting to be able to use this P2V feature in HDM.

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

According to the Manual, these are the supported virtual machines:

3. DannyD

DannyD Registered Member

Hi Robin A. Thanks for helping me troubleshoot this issue.

In the user manual I downloaded with my version of HDM14 Pro, on pages 15 and 16 it says:

Supported virtual hard drive types
     VMware - Virtual Machine Disk Format (VMDK)
     Microsoft - Virtual Hard Disk (VHD)
     Oracle - Virtual Desktop Image (VDI)
     Paragon’s backups (PBF/pVHD)

Supported virtual machines for P2V scenarios
     Microsoft Virtual PC
     VMware Workstation
     VMware Fusion
     Oracle VirtualBox 4.0

It looks like VirtualBox is supported. I'm just trying to understand how to use the .vdi file that Hard Drive Manager 14 Pro created.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.