Boot from CD fails when external USB HDD is presen

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by roberta, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roberta

roberta Registered Member

How to boot from CD with external USB HDD present?
    Can I connect USB later?

Boot Acronis Enterprice 9.1 from CD fails when there is external USB HDD present. I have experienced this on several computers while with some PC's this configuration has worked.
    Right now it's a Dell laptop D600, which single partition 30Gb HDD I would like to backup to external USB HDD drive.
    I can boot when USB HDD is disconnected.
    But with external USB HDD connected, after selecting from CD menu "boot with all drivers" onto screen remains message - Loading, please wait ...
    Also when trying to connect USB later after succesful boot doesn't work as then USB HDD isn't detected. I also disabled from Dell Bios USB as Boot device, which obviously isn't enough or doesn't work as expected.

Roberta

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi Roberta, welcome to the Forum... :D

Your problem is most likely due to a missing or incompatible Linux driver.

The quickest way to resolve this issue is to raise a Support Call with Acronis and ask them if they have a Linux driver for your USB drive. You will need to provide Acronis with full details of your hardware.

As always, I strongly recommend that you only use drivers that have been approved by Acronis or that have been supplied by the hardware manufacturer. It is extremely risky to download unknown drivers from Internet web sites.

T.

3. roberta

roberta Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
    It's an original Acronis Enterprise 9.1 boot CD disk with preinstalled USB drivers supposed to work on most PC's if not all.
    But it appears to work only 1 of 3 PCs and fail with others in a manner described.
    As such, there isn't any user USB drivers ....

Apparently Acronis comes with limited functionality - good for some selected systems only :-(

4. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi Roberta

No.... not exactly.

The problem with non-Windows drivers (Linux, Unix, FreeDOS...etc) is the same for everyone, not just Acronis.

Only the manufacturer of a product has all the technical data to create a driver for that product. Because Windows is the dominant OS, manufacturers usually create drivers for Windows first. Drivers can be expensive to create and a manufacturer may deem it uneconomical to create drivers for environments other than Windows or will delay creating the non-Windows drivers until sales of the product warrent it.

In this case drivers will often be created by, for example, the Linux community. But there are risks in using these drivers, because it is impossible for a person who does not have access to the detailed technical documents of the product to be able to know the very low-level technical data.

Therefore my advice from my previous post still stands....

T.

5. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

Because I have a USB CD drive, if I power up my USB HDD and use the ATI Rescue CD, it will not boot at all.

However, if I keep my USB HDD OFF, the ATI rescue CD boots and after I get the ATI Menu, I power up the USB HDD. Sometimes the USB HDD will not appear in the tree structure or if it does, Linux gives it a different drive letter. When I write the drive letter (the one assigned by Windows) in the command line, it gives me access and displays a drop down menu with *.tib files listed.

Not saying this will work for you but I would try the above...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.