boot drive (partition) not found.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Marty_MC, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty_MC

Marty_MC Registered Member

Dear Sir,

I just downloaded the Trueimage German Trailversion. I tested it on my Windows machine. Everything is fine.
    Now, I want to test the restore functionalities.
    The windows machine boot fine. Everything is OK.
    But, if I try to boot my Linux Suse 10.0 machine, I get an error message as follows:
    boot drive (partition) not found.
    My problem is, I have only Linux on this machine, it is not possible to install TrueImage on this PC for creating a bootable disc.
    Have you got any Idea? Please Help me. What should I do?

BTW: The bootdrive is a 400 GB SATA harddisc. 10 GB root system partition and 25 GB pcitures partition. The remaining is a part of a RAID-1 disc.
    Best Regards
    Martin

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Martin, I'm a little confused :)

You say you have a Windows machine that you have imaged and everything was fine. Is this machine running XP ?

If so, I don't quite understand where the Linux problem is coming from. What did you do with TI and the Linux machine?

I would think from your error description, that your MBR or Linux boot loader are 'not well'.

If you have two PC's one with XP and one with Linux, then you can make a boot CD with the Windows one as the boot CD is LINUX! Having said that I'm not sure if the trial version allows you to make a boot CD.

Colin

3. Marty_MC

Yes, I have two PCs.
    My idea:
    I tried the trailversion. You can only play back the image with the boot - CD.
    So, before I buy the software I want to try the boot CD on the 2nd (Linux) machine. I supose: If I can boot the CD, I could make a image with the fullversion and play it back. But the Linux machine doesn't boot with the CD!
    I get only the error message. Nothing else! I use the bootloader "grub"

Regards
    Martin

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Now I understand, but can't help you. As the boot CD uses Linux why it won't boot you Linux machine I'm not sure. Perhaps GRUB is causing the problem.

Try a search here on grub bootloader and see if there are any posts about it.

Colin

5. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Hi Martin,

are you sure your BIOS supports booting from your CD.
    Can you boot any other bootable CD from this CD drive. If you can then try recreating another ATI boot CD, on the assumption that it is corrupted.
    If you can't then you might need to look at updating your BIOS.

F.

6. Marty_MC

Hi!
    Thank you very much for so many answers!
    Some new information:
    I updated the BIOS, but it didn't help.

For just a test, I generated a BartPE boot CD with my Windows XP PC.
    I know, the graphic drivers and so on are completely wrong, becouse the Linux 10.0 PC is total different.

But: It works!
    The BartPE CD boots, I see all drives and TrueImage starts.
    But, unfurtunately, the graphic driver is wrong (I see only a very less graphic resolution) , the driver for LAN doesn't work (no LAN is available).
    So, If I want a proper BartPE CD, I have to take a other hard drive, install XP with all drivers. Install TrueImage and generate a BartPE CD with all drivers.

That is a real horror trip.

And, if a want to update the trueimage version, I must go the same way again. That is unbeliveable.

conclusion: The problem is the TI 9 bootCD, not my PC. Becouse BartPE with completely wrong drivers boots!

BTW: The Mainboard of the Linux PC is not so common. It is a MSI MS-9625 with a Pentium M CPU. The board has 2 ATA and 4 SATA channels.
    The Linux server runs 24h/365 day. The Pentium M Board has a very less wattage.

regards, Martin

Sorry for my bad english, I'm only a German guy :)

7. GarryK

GarryK Registered Member

Hello Martin,

I also had the "Boot drive (partition) not found" error, but fixed it, so maybe this will help you.

I was running Windows XP with two hard disks on my primary IDE/ATA channel, and a DVD-ROM drive as the Master device on the secondary channel. Acronis Loader worked fine.

Then I installed a third hard disk. By mistake I installed it on the second IDE channel as a Slave (using Cable Select). Everything worked OK and just as fast so I left it. I could also boot from CD-ROMs, although I didn't use any with Acronis Loader.

Later I tried to restore a TrueImage archive using TrueImage standalone. Acronis Loader then gave me the "Boot drive (partition) not found" error. After trying other things without success, I swapped the positions of the hard disk and DVD-ROM on the IDE cable (which therefore also swapped which was Master and Slave). I also set them up again in the motherboard BIOS.

Acronis Loader now works OK again. I don't know why this worked, or exactly what fixed it (position on the cable, master-slave assignment, or BIOS setup?) but these might be worth investigating.

Regards,
    Garry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.