Boot-CD / Acrobis doesn´t start

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Healthmaster, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Healthmaster

Healthmaster Registered Member

Hi,

i have one Problem with the Acronis True Image Enterprise Server 9.1 Software.
    I created a full boot CD and now i want to boot the server from this CD.
    But I can´t start one of the programs. When I will start the Acronis bootable Agent for example all I´ll become is a black screen with a blinking cursor.
    The Server is configured with a Raid 5 controller. But I can start the Acronis True Image in safe mode from the BootCD, and the HDD will be shown. So I think that the Raid is not the problem.

I´ll hope anybody can help me.
    thx

2. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

How long do you leave it looking at the blinking cursor? It can take up to a minute or so sometime.

Thanks,

Chris

3. Healthmaster

Healthmaster Registered Member

Re: Boot-CD / Acronis doesn´t start

I have wait a half an hour but nothing will be done ;)

just FYI: On other systems the BootCD runs. The BootCD is OK.

4. RockyCore

RockyCore Registered Member

Re: Boot-CD / Acronis doesn´t start

I'm not certain, but I believe that the drivers that are used when booting into the Bootable Agent, are not necessarily the same drivers that are used when you boot into the Full Mode. I can't prove anything though.

I'm having my own situation with some coworkers where they have odd problems using the Workstation version and boot cd and drivers.

5. Christopher_NC

Christopher_NC Registered Member

Acronis has two distinct boot rescue modes. Full Boot Mode is based on Linux , and for all your hardware to be seen and function in this mode Linux drivers must be present on the Boot rescue CD for your specific hardware. The second mode is called "Safe" Boot Mode, and is DOS based. Acronis "Safe" Boot Mode relies on your system's BIOS to access hardware, and has only limited support for USB, etc. While you can operate in "Safe" Boot Mode, many operations run much slower than in other ATI modes.

So, while you may be able to see your drives in ATI "Safe" mode, that does not mean that you can successfully complete a restoration from either ATI running in Windows or ATI Full Linux Boot Mode. ATI relies on Linux to complete many of its operations, such as restoring a system disk or partition. Since the OS is generally on that partition, and will be wiped clean prior to the restore operation, ATI reboots and completes those operations in its native Linux mode.

Or, in some cases, like yours, does not complete the operation, if ATI cannot see and access your drives in Linux mode. Contact Acronis Support, with the specifics of your hardware and they can often provide you with updates to support your hardware. (eg: ICH8 chipsets are one known SATA 2 chipset on mainboards with CoreDuo CPUs that ATI does not currently officially support in Linux modes).

In the meantime, at least if the problems you are having are only from ATI running in Windows, you can also download and install the Acronis Drivers which are updated between build releases:

The latest version of Acronis drivers

Installing these snapapi drivers may improve disk access from ATI in Windows, not from the ATI rescue boot disc.

Regards

6. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Do you by chance, have any usb devices on this server including hubs? What about wireless devices? Acronis is known to choke on some of these.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.