Bonjour failure linked to NOD32 HTTP checking

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by solmaker, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solmaker

solmaker Registered Member

My iPod Touch wallet used to sync great over Bonjour with my Windows XP desktop wallet. I hadn't synced for a month, but the next time I tried to sync these two devices, the error appears: "Bonjour: response parse failed".

The devices are communicating, because if the wallet is not running on the iTouch, a different error appears. I tried reinstalling/repairing Bonjour, and even deleted the wallet on the iTouch and the sync connection on the desktop, but after recreating the sync connection, the wallet on the iTouch waits for about 2 minutes with "Synchronization in progress" flashing, until the desktop finally traps the same error "Bonjour: response parse failed".

Eventually I determined that ESET NOD32 3.0.672 was the culprit, since synchronization works fine with its antivirus protection disabled. Excluding scanning the wallet program did not help, but just disabling HTTP checking (while leaving other protections on) was sufficient.

So it appears that some update in NOD32 (or possibly the wallet program) triggered NOD32 to start interfering with Bonjour communication. My questions:

1) Can someone suggest a fix or workaround (aside from disabling HTTP checking)?

2) How badly would it compromise system protection if HTTP checking were permanently disabled?

3) Is there any reason to expect NOD32 v.4 would not have this problem?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

V. 3.0.672 is quite old and v4, especially the latest v. 4.2 currently available as a beta, addresses issues present in previous builds. I'd definitely give v. 4.2 a try. If it doesn't help, problematic applications can be excluded from content filtering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.