BolehVpn

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by bryanjoe, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

Read from their website, the owner is from Asia, Malaysia.
    Allows torrent.
    Has UK, Luxem, Holland servers . Anymore? seems limited

Any inputs from users ?

2. trentinoff

trentinoff Registered Member

how come u post them? u r just an customer?

Unless u r paid to post??

3. bryanjoe

thanks for your virgin post

4. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

Because that's what the purpose of this forum is -- to discuss users' experiences with various privacy-related products and services. o_O

5. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

6. bryanjoe

7. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

It's not how many servers you have, it's where they're located, and if they're powerful enough to accommodate all their users. I'd be using the Luxemborg or Holland servers all the time. My VPN has a few more servers, but I almost always use the same one anyway, so it really doesn't matter to me.

I have no doubt that Boleh is a keeper.

~~ off topic comment also removed (along with the post removal noted below) ~~

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2011
  8. bolehvpn

bolehvpn Registered Member

Hi I am Reuben from BolehVPN and am pleased that there's been a thread made about us (was doing a Google search on us when I came across this thread).

I am of course ready to take any questions and clarify any issues you may have.

I can confirm that bryanjoe is not related to us in anyway.

Just a note that we have
    UK, Lux, Netherlands, Swiss and Canada.
    US is for surfing/streaming only.

Although we did consider getting it in more countries, we simply decided that we would focus on the providers that we are comfortable with and could guarantee us a good speed as opposed to having a mixed experience (for e.g. slow on some servers while fast on others).

Although it is not always possible, we aim in giving our customers a consistent experience across our servers hence us being selective on our locations rather than having a huge multitude of servers and imposing special restrictions on each one.

9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

@BolehVPN

For quite some time, I've considered trying your service. Comment here has been uniformly positive. However, I've been put off by the limited payment options (PayPal) outside Malaysia. Are there anonymous alternatives?

Several
    I've been i

10. bolehvpn

This is something we've been exploring and have been in discussion.

We started out as a Malaysian based service and as such anonymous cash deposits were a way for someone to make payments without revealing their identity.

Only recently, did we start getting a more international audience and we are now beginning to come to grips with this and realizing that changes are required to cater to this now expanded group of customers.

Since we're on the topic, what would you consider as reliable anonymous payment alternatives so that we can explore this further?

11. mirimir

Liberty Reserve and Pecunix are both good. Bitcoin can be anonymous, if managed properly. You might also look at WebMoney, if you want Russian customers.

12. bolehvpn

What about more renowned providers like Western Union or other cash office wire transfers?

Meanwhile we'll explore setting up a Liberty Reserve account and maybe we can do manual approval for now which would be a faster way to achieve this as opposed to full integration which would take some time.

13. mirimir

In some countries, such as the United States, identification is required.

Thank you. Bitcoin is also easy to implement. Encouraging use of Bitcoin anonymizers would be helpful, by the way.

14. box750

box750 Registered Member

My ideal payment system is to make the payment over the counter giving the money to a bank teller, people can go to a bank pay in cash and tell them to wire the money to account number XXX anywhere in the world getting a receipt with no ID is asked, the receipt will be issued to any name/company you tell them.

There are high fees for international bank transfers but if you could have three bank accounts, one in the EU (EU wiring charges in between countries are very low), one in the US and one in Asia it would considerably reduce bank charges for customers.

My second choice would be Bitcoin, Western Union is not a good idea as in the UK they ask you for an ID to make a wiring and they keep those records for 5 years.

15. luciddream

I'm glad there's a rep from Boleh here. I agree about cold, hard cash being the best method. 2'nd... accepting prepaid cards (i.e. Visa Gift Cards). Just looking at that process to use Liberty Reserve seemed overly complicated. And I don't want to have to download any 3'rd party software and go through a middle man to make a transaction. It's not only more difficult than it should be, but seems potentially unsafe as well.

1. Cash

2. Prepaid cards

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  16. bolehvpn

I think to maintain several bank accounts in different countries would be problematic as I don't think we have that sort of volume to justify it. Normally I don't think they also allow you to open accounts willy nilly in any country unless you meet certain requirements or are residenced there.

We've had people purchase one year subscriptions through banked in money transfers from overseas and haven't had an issue with this method but sometimes it's not so transparent how the bank charges fees and we often end up with a bit less than agreed.

I have to admit that I haven't heard much about Liberty Reserve and Bitcoin outside Wilders and some Google searches do not inspire confidence. From a purchaser's point of view, the risk might be not so great as compared to a vendor which will be passing quite a bit of money through it.

Just a quick wiki on Bitcoin reveals this:

Anonymity

Because transactions are broadcast to the entire network, they are inherently public. Unlike regular banking, which preserves customer privacy by keeping transaction records private, transactional anonymity is accomplished in Bitcoin by keeping the ownership of addresses private, while at the same time publishing all transactions. As an example, if Alice sends 123.45 BTC to Bob, a public record is created that allows anyone to see that 123.45 was sent from one address to another. However, unless Alice or Bob make their ownership of these addresses publicly known in some way, it is difficult for anyone else to connect the transaction with them. However, if an address is connected to a user at any point it can be possible to follow back a series of transactions because each participant likely knows who paid them and may disclose that information on request or under duress.[15][16][17]
    Jeff Garzik, one of the Bitcoin developers, explained as such in an interview and concluded that "attempting major illicit transactions with bitcoin, given existing statistical analysis techniques deployed in the field by law enforcement, is pretty damned dumb".[18][19] He also said "We are working with the government to make sure indeed the long arm of the government can reach Bitcoin... the only way bitcoins are gonna be successful is working with regulation and with the government"

Even it seems that Liberty Reserve has some concerns:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.finance.gold-silver-crypto/22812

17. bolehvpn

Just to let you know that we're checking with our payment gateway provider on whether they do accept prepaid Visas and will revert. If that's an acceptable solution then it would solve a lot of issues.

Update: Gateway provider confirmed that we accept prepaid Visas but of course I'm unable to test this myself as prepaid Visas are not available where I am.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  18. mirimir

I take it that you haven't had probems with PayPal. They're notorious for freezing accounts,

That's why I emphasized anonymizing. I wouldn't trust Bitcoin. And yet, I wonder how Silk Road could be so wrong.

I suppose that they are the "Fisher Price Paypal of the DGC world". Still, that's better than PayPal ;)

How about Pecunix, then?

19. bolehvpn

I've had problems with Paypal only as to fraudulent purchases where they refuse to protect the Purchaser despite our checks that the payment is authorized.

Pecunix, I went to their site as well (which honestly looks like a home job), and couldn't find reliable third party sources advocating them besides the odd mention in a blog post.

What would be the issue with prepaid Visas?

20. bryanjoe

21. bolehvpn

DasFox and Luciddream (or any other person besides me for that matter) does not represent BolehVPN nor are they affiliated to us in anyway. I actually believe DasFox at one time (a few months back) came to our support forums asking some tough questions about our service and in the course of discussion we did the best we could to address his concerns.

My participation here is merely coincidental as part of our efforts to reach out to our customers. We were recently named in TorrentFreak and as such we felt that we should just do a quick Google search on where we are mentioned so that we have an official representative to address any concerns that were for some reason not raised in our normal support channels.

22. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Off topic posts removed. Can't you all just for once talk about the actual topic and not whether you think he/she/it/or the dog over there/ are respresentatives of XYZ company?!

23. luciddream

None that I can think of, as long as you use a dummy name & email account to link it to. I think it's the all-around best option for both parties involved. It's good to hear that you're accepting it as payment.

And all one would have to do is look at my sig to know I'm not affiliated with Boleh. I use a competing service, and quite happily, but for us Wilders members the search for that elusive "best setup" never ends. In the search for the end-all/be-all VPN solution, I didn't find one. In fact I only found 2 that I'd even use at all. I'd be pleased to see that list grow over time. People need trustworthy anonymity solutions.

24. luciddream

Agreed. Removed the OT content from my post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.