Bogus "Database already up-to-date" message

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Konyntje, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Konyntje

Konyntje Registered Member

For about the last week I've been receiving the "Database already up-to-date" message when I try to update, and I'm finally getting around to doing something about it....

It's probably a false message because DCS is very religious about updates. I can't think of anything I've done in the product or on my XP-Home machine to cause this, so any help from the team would be much appreciated.

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2004
  3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Whisper: don't tell anyone but Gavin works in advance! Adding detection for nasties not even been written let alone released yet.

4. Konyntje

Thanks FanJ! I shut down TDS3, downloaded the Radius.td3 file, restarted, et Voila - the update worked. I put the link you referenced in 'Favorites' for the next time. :)

5. Konyntje

It happened again! I CNTL-U'd to update the definitions and got the same 'up-to-date' message. Not believing it (its been a couple of days), I shut-down TDS, reloaded the radius file, restarted, and this time got an update... Interestingly enough today's 'references' counts - 33416 for primaries, traces and variants are less than the reference numbers from my last start-up (yesterday). Sorry, I don't have the previous counts (scrolled off the TDS log display area). Any ideas on what could be zapping the radius file? - if that is indeed the problem.

Thanks in advance...

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Konyntje,

How did you get your definitions:
    manually downloading it or using TDS-3 update-option?

In case you are using the TDS-3 update-option:
    have you downloaded a new update.cfg ?
    That file update.cfg contains the list of update servers.
    Sometimes there is a problem with one of the servers (these things can happen).
    You need an up-to-date server-list.
    Update Configuration file - Direct download (update.cfg) can be acquired directly by right clicking this file and selecting "Save target As"
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/tds/update.cfg
    Please save the file to your TDS directory, overwriting the existing update.cfg file. Remember to ensure that the filename is update.cfg, and not update.cfg.txt or anything else.

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Today's last count • Systems Initialised [34101 references - 12852 primaries/9647 traces/11602 variants/other]

8. Konyntje

FanJ/Jooske: I'm updating manually. I replaced the config file, and am now getting a message saying "Downloaded file was corrupt, trying next server..."; I get this message 3 times - the number of servers listed in the config file?

9. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Konyntje, think it was advised before to get the latest update.cfg file from the TDS update site? It is changed frequently in the order of update mirrors and there were around 7 the last time i opened my file to look. So get that fresh update.cfg, (re)load TDS or press the update.exe if you're in the TDS directory anyway and it should work fine again.
    If you put it in and TDS is still running, i'm not sure if the new update.cfg is used.
    You can open them in notepad or wordpad and look at the differences.
    Servers corrupt could be during updating the servers, maybe, but it would be a strange coincidense having them all at the same time; try to look if you use another hour later?
    If you only would have got "up to date" it could have been your ISP caching the latest update -- like you had the other time.
    Starts to look at a combination........ hope not.

10. Konyntje

Hi Jooske:
    I shut down TDS, and re-acquired both the update and radius file. On restart, the radius definitions show today's date. I'll try to download new definitions Monday and let you know how it goes.

11. Konyntje

Jooske: Everything seems OK. Thanks for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.