Boeing hit by WannaCry virus, fears it could cripple some jet production

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by hawki, Mar 28, 2018.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"Boeing was hit Wednesday by the WannaCry computer virus, raising fears within the company that it could cripple some vital airplane production equipment...

Mike VanderWel, chief engineer at Boeing Commercial Airplane production engineering, sent out an alarming memo calling for 'All hands on deck.'

'It is metastasizing rapidly out of North Charleston and I just heard 777 (automated spar assembly tools) may have gone down,' VanderWel wrote, adding that he’s concerned the virus will hit equipment used in functional tests of airplanes ready to roll out and potentially 'spread to airplane software...' '

https://www.seattletimes.com/busine...s-fears-it-could-cripple-some-jet-production/

2. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Apparently not a major deal:

Boeing statement:

"A number of articles on a malware disruption are overstated and inaccurate. Our cybersecurity operations center detected a limited intrusion of malware that affected a small number of systems. Remediations were applied and this is not a production or delivery issue."

https://twitter.com/BoeingAirplanes/status/979134166959783937

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

So how in heavens name is my question (if this is indeed accurate, all indications are it was something), could THAT have happened?

WannaCry especially is already mostly globally addressed (even spawns of sorts/same basic code) and yet a brief panic announcement like this.

Some joker inserting an already compromised USB or............o_O

4. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"Seattle Times reporting that Boeing has been hit by Wannacry virus. If it *is* the Wannacry attack - and not some variation - that would be a pretty damning state of affairs for Boeing's security measures."

https://twitter.com/DaveLeeBBC?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

5. itman

itman Registered Member

Probably some forgotten device that was never connected to the network and never patched. Somehow it got connected and wha-la!

6. hawki

hawki Registered Member

7. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I was going to put an application in for Boeing in InfoSec when I finish school. Looks like I could be of some help as long as Admin is willing to listen.

8. itman

itman Registered Member

The below implies to me they had unpatched devices they were not aware of. So WannaCry still remains a viable threat.
    https://www.scmagazine.com/boeing-hit-and-recovering-from-possible-wannacry-attack/article/754599/

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'm not amazed these billion dollar businesses, the US Government - Federal, State & Local, foreign governments & even million dollar businesses get hit with hacks, security intrusions & the like.

I am plain disgusted at all these entities for being cheap, arrogant or stupid.

All this and more is just an additional excuse why these entities won't act right towards others as far as food, shelter, clothing, well-being & decency go. Well done you *****!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.