BOClean, spysweeper detects adware

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Tony, Dec 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Hi, i`ve just done a scan with webroots spysweeper, and it has come upwith a result

Adware detected

Adware- Type-Keenvalue

c:\documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs\boclean\updater.lnk

Description:

Name:

KeenValue

Author:

EUniverse, Inc.

Category:

Adware

Threat Assessment:

Low

Description:

KeenValue is an adware program that collects personal information and delivers advertisements to your computer.

Characteristics:

KeenValue displays targeted advertisements on your computer in the form of pop-up windows, pop-up slider windows, embedded advertisements, and Web links in the form of desktop icons and installation files. The adware program also collects personal information including your name, country, zip code, IP address, system settings, what software is on your computer, terms entered into search engines and Web surfing activities. In addition, KeenValue has an auto update feature that allows the program to silently update itself and install other third party software applications.

Method of Infection:

KeenValue is bundled with a cursor-download program from MyFreeCursors.com and the PowerSearch Toolbar by InfoBeat.

Additional Comments:

None.

Now i presume that this must be a false result.

I have also done a scan with adaware and that came up clean.

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Tony,

Welcome at Wilders. :)

If you could send a copy of that file to the address in my profile I'd be happy to contact both developers for you.

Regards,

Pieter

3. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

BOclean was contacted and Nancy read this post when first made if that helps duplication..I know no one at the other vendor spysweeper.

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi John,

I'm sure Nancy can confirm if it is the original file and we would be sure it´s a f/p, but that would not solve the problem. More people might be in for a scare or even take a wrong turn and decide to delete the file.

Regards,

Pieter

5. Kevin McAleavey

Kevin McAleavey Security Expert

Greetings, all ... just got in, long night last night ...

A *.LNK file, eh? LNK files are "shortcut" files containing an icon and a pointer to where the actual file is located so that when clicked on, it runs the file. So the first step is amusing in that LNK files are not executables, but rather pointers to a file.

So what I'd suggest is submitting a copy to webroot for evaluation (it'll help them fix their problem) and if you could, send ME a copy of that as well. Since the LNK file will point to a file called BOC4UPD.EXE (BOClean's autoupdater module) in your BOClean folder, might as well send this file along as well. Dunno if Spysweeper resolved the link, but this is the file that link would resolve to.

Pretty sure it's a false positive though since BOClean would be a bit miffed at having one of its files tampered with. :)

6. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Thanks for all of the replies :)

When i try and attach the file to send via email, outlook tells me that i cannot send a folder ??

If i go straight to the file then it connects to the update.

Mind you i`ve had a few as i finally start my holidays today, so i`m most likely making a complete plonker of myself :oops:

Kevin, is it possible for you or anyone else (who`s a bit more computer literate than me)to download the trial version and see if the results are the same as mine.

Thanks, if not, then i`ll try again tomorrow when i`ve a little clearer head.

7. controler

controler Guest

I just ran a trial copy of Spysweeper and did not get the same results.
    The only thing it found was some cookies. it does not find all cookies.
    Nice looking program though ;)

con

8. Primrose

Con you are one handy leghorn to have around the chicken coop to clear the Fog. :D

Don't stand there gawkin' son, speak up. :cool:

@ Tony

By chance when you ran this spysweeper (and we know you have BOClean)..do you also have any other real time guards of other types of security programs running also a the same time ?

How about a list of what you do have that might fit that category..I have an idea..but it could just be a brain fart.

:p

9. controler

controler Guest

hey primerose

well ok ,, for my current config i am running XP Pro with all the updates,
    KAV Beta, A2 personal Beta and Bo Clean behind an actiontec gateway
    with internal firewall set to medium, and Look & Stop firewall.
    To run this test I installed the trial of Spysweeper but I had all other real time dissabled.

con

10. Tony

Tony Registered Member

When i first scanned i had
    BOClean
    AMON (NOD32)
    Outpost firewall
    And Spysweeper of course running.

Later there was an update for Spysweeper, so after downloading the updates i closed all running programs and did a second sweep.
    Spysweeper produced the same results.

11. Tony

Tony Registered Member

I have now sent the attachment to Kevin and await his results.

Last night however just before shutting down the computer, i quarantined the suspected file to see if Boclean and the updater worked as normal.
    This morning a few minutes after booting up, BOClean auto update notified me that an update was available and updated as normal.

I have now restored the file until Kevin advises what to do with it.

12. Primrose

Hi Tony,

Humor me and turn off your AMON (NOD32) and then do exactly the same you did in the first post of this thread and see if that spyweeper still detects the same.

Then of course I have no idea how you have BOClean set up when you are scanning with the spysweeper.

Is BOClean also then.. at the same time.. checking on action of the spysweeper ?

13. Oric48k

Oric48k Guest

I have the full paid for version of Spy Sweeper. It picks up my BOClean Updater.lnk file as Keen value ad-aware. I think the evaluation copy has fewer than 10,000 signatures, where as the full version with 'all' the updates has over 17,000 signatures. This may be why the evaluation copy didn't pick it up. The signature that flags up the alert is in the extra signatures( calculated guess ;) ). I am 99.99% sure of it being a FP.

Oric

14. Tony

Tony Registered Member

I`ve received Kevins reply via email

Thanks Kevin :)
    And thanks for everyones replies :cool:

Happy new year.

15. muf

muf Registered Member

Spy Sweeper has just been updated. Has the FP been resolved now?

muf

16. Tony

Tony Registered Member

With the latest update spysweeper reports system all clean :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.