BOClean same story that TDS ?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by A884126, Aug 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A884126

A884126 Registered Member

Because TDS is dead, I thought about moving to BOClean which suppose to be second on the list of the best AT on the market.
    However there is a rumor circulating that BOClean will follow the same path that TDS.

Does anyone heard about it?

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

A884126,

Have you bothered to read the Kevin's posts in the TDS Software Line Discontinued thread? I assume you have since you posted in that thread. Personally, I thought that Kevin was quite clear on the matter.

On the other hand, I've not heard any mention of this rumor,anywhere. Care to provide a link to a site containing this information?

Blue

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I use BOClean but Ewido users would probably disagree with the list to which you refer.

4. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Wayne, (of DCS) apparently feels that all anti-trojan vendors have a tough hill to climb to find room to keep growing and subsisting.

Rich

5. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Blue expresses my feelings exactly ;)

6. The Hammer

What do you think,time to dump your Ewido and BOClean then?

7. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Personally, I would never "dump" a product for fear that it "may" not last. Even if it only lasts another 6 months, as long as you've paid for it, you may as well keep it and get as much use use out of it as possible for those 6 months.

8. The Hammer

I agree. But since richrf owns TDS, BOClean, Ewido and Trojan Hunter. I was wondering what he is going to do after he quoted Wayne's comments. richrf's opinion is one I respect.

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

BOClean and Ewido have the advantage of being advanced anti-spyware applications as well as anti-trojans. BOClean mainly markets to businesses, and Ewido takes advantage of the fact that they're in the AS market as well. I doubt you will see AS scanners disappearing anytime soon, and likewise I doubt we will be seeing those two go anywhere soon either, although we may see their products and/or ways of advertising change some. Not being a part of that industry, that's only my opinion/observations, but I really don't think that just because their main focus is on trojans means they are entirely doomed.

10. richrf

richrf Registered Member

It definitely seems like I am relying less and less on some of the original products that I purchased. Giant AS and TDS-3 has long since fallen into disuse, as has Ad-aware and Spybot - a couple of old standbys. I run BOClean once a week, just to do a process scan, but non unexpectedly it never finds anything.

I keep Ewido running, because I am curious if the process memory scan will detect something at some point that may get through KAV and ProcessGuard/WormGuard (also Online Armor which I am trialing). But I would say the chances of this are probably negligible. At some point, I am sure, I will stop running Ewido. Possibly when it begins to conflict with one of my other priority security programs.

I certainly feel more secure with HIPS-based products than I ever felt with signature-based scanning. HIPS protection seems to be more absolute and comprehensive. I also don't have to be concerned with the time-lag associated with "begin processing" and "detection". But only time will tell whether this was the right choice.

Rich

11. toadbee

toadbee Registered Member

By "same path" do you mean have no real time scanning (ie effectiveness)? God I hope not.

Really from what I've read, it seems like there is at least a fews years left with BOClean - atleast. And with their current policy, thats a steal in comparison to todays "Malware catchalls" - Even if only good for a few years...IMO

12. A884126

13. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

14. A884126

Yes I did. But what people say is not always in alignment with what they do. This rumor is not from the web, then I got no link. I got the news from an IT friend yesterday.

15. ---

All I saw was Kevin from BOclean trying to milk some sympathy by saying how tough life is in the AT industry, how hard they work etc etc, in the various 'TDS-3 is dead' thread.

How dare those 'newcomers' in the AT industry come in and muscle out the duopoly of TDS and BOclean! It's all their fault for ruining the industry by offering life time one off packages!

Of course, they were careful to stress that _UNLIKE_ DCS's TDS-3 they had corproate customers to fall back on, so they could surivive.

Of course, this was lost in the message and it seems to have back-fired upon them, since a lot of people took it as a sign that BO clean was dying too.

They posted to correct this view, but it seems this rumour still lives on..

Add the fashion trend these days (New paradigm according to Richrf) that HIPS is the future and KAV is sufficient to catch trojans, it seems logical that ATs are dying.

And so a rumor is born...

16. muf

muf Registered Member

From what i've read in posts from Kevin(BOClean), he said he's committed for the next four years to keep BOClean going due to his Corporate & Government contracts. I get the impression that they have no choice than to keep BOClean running for the next four years unless they want to be taken to court(allegedly) and have their asses sued off. You may see BOClean 5 with some heuristic/pro-active type capabilities. I'd be surpised to see BOClean stay in it's current form for the whole duration of the next four years. It will either go to BOClean 5 or a new application which addresses the trend for HIPS application's will be created but with BOClean still being updated. I just hope that Kevin doesn't become bitter in having to keep it updated for the benefit of his Corporate & Government customers.

If BOClean needs to go to yearly subscription then i'd have no problem with that. But i would expect Kevin to announce this and give current customers a number of months before going ahead with it. I don't expect he'd be the type to drop it on you as of now!. He's got more integrity than that.

Yep, BOClean is a stayer. Well, for four years at least. Jmho.

muf

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  17. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

A884126,

The reason I asked is that these rumors have a way of feeding upon themselves. As you realize, since BOClean does not have ongoing fees, continuing revenue is derived from new consumer level sales and corporate renewals (which do have a fixed term, 3 years being the standard according to the BOClean EULA). These types of rumors can drive reality by drying up the continuing revenue stream. That's a simple statement of reality.

As Kevin mentioned in the posts that I indicated above, a number of corporate clients apparently had committed funding for another cycle. I wonder whether your IT friend is working with firm information or simply performing an idle extrapolation based on some of Wayne's comments to the remainder of the industry or his/her personal analysis. Although I do generally agree with Wayne's comments in principle, the manner in which BOClean operates partially mitigates the some of the immediacy faced by vendors of classical AT scanners. As with any specific piece of software, it is not if it will be supplanted by something else, but when.

My basic belief is that casually tossing out unsupported rumors of this sort borders on irresponsible behavior. If it is backed up by a reference that users or potential customers can investigate on their own, everyone can make an assessment according to the trust they are willing to place in that primary source. In this case, we are left with nothing aside from rather vague speculation floating in thin air - vague speculation that I would dismiss out of hand for the present.

Blue

18. justnoticed

justnoticed Guest

~snip....un-called for personal comments removed....Bubba~

Too late in that regard. I'm sure most casual readers like myself that read that thread lost a lot of or whatever respect they had for him - the way he reacted and treated others that weren't even addressing him. I know I did, and I was considering buying BOClean - but not after that.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2005
  19. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

I want to avoid any harsh personal commentary but I have to agree with part of your statement --accusing and blaming a competitor {TH} for the demise of TDS was/is strange. That is like blaming General Motors or Toyota when Ford goes under o_O And referring to the author of TDS as "UNCA Wayne", what kind of rhetoric is that? {Hopefully not some form of cronyism being revealed}. There is way too much of this sort of rhetoric coming from the author of BOC, I surely would like to see such unnecessary and unprofessional {and to me, offensive} stuff to stop. Let's discuss facts, let's debate technical merits, civilly, but let's leave out the personal stuff, it is unbecoming and unprofessional and unnecessary .. IMHO. I do believe BOClean is a useful product and will survive for the foreseeable future, and there is no need for the author of BOC to make unnecessary and unwanted negative personal comments toward competitors. I held my tongue in the other thread, mainly because I felt the thread was about TDS and Wayne, not about competitors, but as a supporter of TH I hope this sort of thing won't happen again in the future. Personal disputes and criticisms of this nature are best handled privately and not in public; especially when they are out of context and basically irrelevant to the topic, which was, to discuss TDS and Wayne's announcement of its discontinuance -- not to discuss competitors. ;) Take Care, Warmly, Ran

20. The Hammer

BOClean was updated on my system today. They seem to be working hard not taking the weekend off anyway.

21. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Ewido has heuristics now too...

22. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

100% Agreed

23. muf

muf Registered Member

I'm sorry but is this thread titled Ewido same story that TDS ?

Where did you dream up the notion that anyone would be remotely interested in you chipping in with information about Ewido? Look mate, this thread is about BOClean. We're not interested in Ewido. Now run along and go "scan" your pc with your favourite toy...

muf

24. StevieO

StevieO Guest

I also read Kevin stating that BOClean was 100% secure for at least the next 4 years, which is great news. So it's Not going the same way as TDS.

From what i gather BOClean seem to work round the clock 24/7/365. How many others put that kind of dedication and commitment into their products !

StevieO

25. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Love u too...

And the note was because I think that programs can be saved by using heuristics. And I guess BoClean is a program too.

Last: you could have point your arrows on some other writers too, so why this crappy remark of you?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.