BOClean Question

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Mystik_TK, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystik_TK

Mystik_TK Registered Member

Some time ago, I posted a thread here regarding real-time protection for malware/spyware. I don't recall BOC being mentioned in that thread, so when it was recently recommended to me, I was fairly intrigued.

What I'm wondering is how it compares to other anti-malware programs such as SAS and A2 (I run the free version of both of those as on-demand scanners)? From looking at the features, it seems to be the same, only with RT detection (which is included in the free version, correct?).

Also, while I'm here, would there be any conflicts with my setup if I added BOClean and CounterSpy?

My current setup:

Antivir
    Kerio 4
    SpywareBlaster
    SAS
    A2
    Proxomitron (web filter - anyone else here use it?)

Thanks. :)

2. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

I can't speak to all the combinations you list, but this combination is working well for me:
    - Comodo Firewall Pro RC1 (Network Monitor and HIPS activated).
    - Comodo BOClean 4.25.
    - NOD32 V3.

BOClean will detect and block any attempted malware startups, but ignores trivia such as adware cookies. I use SuperAntiSpyware for manual AS scans and adware cookie-cleaning. I've used A-Squared also, but prefer SAS.

Intallation is much faster if you install BOClean before installing Comodo RC1 Firewall+HIPS, since Comodo RC1 will see BOClean as a 'Safe' program on installation-scan. Much 'quieter' installation with fewer HIPS-initated queries to approve.

Hope this helps!

3. Mystik_TK

Mystik_TK Registered Member

Thanks, that does indeed help. :)

4. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I also use BOClean. I use it along side KAV 7.0 with no problems. I also have SUPER AS, A2 & Dr. Web as on-demand scanners.

5. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

How about adding BOClean to Avast Home and ThreatFire? Good idea, or not needed?

6. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

It is quite different. SAS and A2 are malware scanners with additional Realtime protection if you pay for it. The A2 Guard features behaviour blocking as well as signatures, while SAS has various protection shields. BOClean by comparison is a realtime signature based scanner that looks at files as they start up in memory. The nearest comparison would be AVG-AS whose Guard similarly inspects files as they start executing. The difference being that AVG-AS also has a demand scanner. BOClean will only scan files if you drag and drop them into the GUI.

I have to say that I'm not familiar with the latest BOClean versions, so if there has been changes someone else will have to correct me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.