BOClean: from 4.22.02 to 4.24 Why should I?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by mercurie, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

BOClean users especially those who had paid versions. Why should I switch to the 4.24 version if 4.22 is working. I know Kevin says one day soon it will phase out, but is there a reason to switch now.

Are there less CPU cycles? Is it easier on memory then the already lite 4.22? Are the servers more busy (at planet.com or whatever) then the old BOClean or are they the same servers now? Every cycle and MB of RAM counts on my old PC even if it is running XP.

We could turn it around and ask it the other way. Why stick with 4.22 when 4.24 is out?

There have also been questions about support and service for paid users above and beyond the free downloaders. Someone in another thread said they did not see a sign of that and did not know how this could be done. (this is of the least concern to me, but others seem to wonder).

2. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I did not use 4.22 but I did install 4.23, which has a bit problem then upgrade to 4.24, I have not encountered any tech problem until some one raised a red flag re commodo's fw collecting user's private info lately. From the outset of its acquisition of Boclean from Kevin, on one hand, I do admire Commodo CEO's vision=providing general pc users with more reliable freewares, but on the other hand, I have strong reservation(even until this day) about his hidden agenda. Commodo has a golden goose program raking in millions and millions from its commercial clients. Do they provide free lunch to non-commercial users in order to collect all DNA data to feed their database and in turn to benefit their royal(not loyal) commercial pals ? My question for now, if I were you, is whether to continue using all Commodo's freewares. I would wait until all dirty dusts settle down and once for all. Have a nice one.

3. JonPaulOnLine

JonPaulOnLine Registered Member

I have been using Comodo BO Clean on one of my PC's
    and 4.24 is OK

I also use Comodo Firewall on 1 of my PC's

and check out the additional software ,
    you see in my signature( All work OK, I am satisfied)

4. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I too am waiting till no support is left for 4.22
    I tried 4.24 but rolled back for some reason that for the life of me cannot remember why now.
    Off course the same was true for Comodo FW.Tried that twice the secend time I remembered why.
    Like I have said Ill wait till there is no more support for 4.22 then install 4.24 and if it disapoints me then it's gone.

*Those who do not learn from the past are damned to repeated it*

Hmmmm who said that ?

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I switched over this past weekend. It's inevitable anyway so i took the plunge. The only glitch so far was just minutes ago on startup BC was jacked at 100% cpu, wouldn't let up so i rebooted and it's back to the normal 13% every 10 seconds or so.

If i have too many issues with 4.24, it's out.

snowbound

6. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  7. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Hey mercurie
    I also pondering same
    Have not changed over either.
    Watched the debacle that was the "pre-pre-release" of 4.23 :rolleyes:
    Quality control :ouch:
    Wondering about agendas..
    Most issues seem stable now.
    Apart from "re-branding" there seemed to be little change.
    As this is the first release of CBOC: i may wait till next.
    It seems as though most people are happy.
    Some of the early chaos has settled.

I'm not sure but it may be that CBOC will go the way of other apps, evolve and be subsumed into Comodo HIPS > Kevin has not said as such but he has made some oblique comments.

Really amazing and wonderful that the little "vac" has been around for so long.
    I suspect that with all respect to Comodo coders KMcA has been a great buy for them. ( shame about Nancy dissappearing)

Never regretted getting BOC and will be sticking with $.@@ for a bit.

8. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Even 13% seems a little high, as mine reaches 2-5% at most every 10 secs.

9. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Really.

I guess i'll have to live with it as most of the past versions were in that area(10-15) on my system with no noticeable effects.

snowbound

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  10. mercurie

My 4.22 spikes to 35% with the Vac turning green. Start up goes to 98 to 100% until it settles down this is normal of course. I have never had any issues with this on performance.

I am wondering if with each model version is Kevin able to improve resource useage or does the fact that more and more sigs cause more resource useage. :doubt: .

11. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I would think it improves resource usage, as I just re-installed 4.24 last weekend after re4mating. The only other difference in my set-up is AntiVir instead of AOL-AVS. (no comment:rolleyes: )

12. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Buddha

13. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Why should I??
    Today is the last day for updates for 4.22.
    Used BOClean for 5 yrs. without question but became leery of it when Comodo took it over.
    At this point I don't know whether I'll upgrade or not.
    I'll miss that little icon in the tray. :(

14. LoneWolf

Yes got the same message while updating 4.22 today. :'(
    Tiss a sad day indeed.
    I'm not sure myself.
    But if I do try 4.24 again, i'll have a backup snapshot ready to restore if need be.

15. fphall

fphall Registered Member

Well, I'm not going to try 4.25, because I don't agree with section 10 of the EULA, so BoClean is now history on my computer.

Edit : spelling

16. mercurie

:'( I got the message of course too. On my old compaq there will have to be some changes made and BOClean will not be a part of it. I am not sure about the family PC as I don't like the EULA either. :p Even though I think we are all including myself over reacting. :doubt:

Right now I am not happy about the BOClean situation even though I still love the security program. I am a paid user and still wonder how in the world we will be treated any differently then those who got it for free. :(

I've used BOClean for almost as long as danny9.

17. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

We (the paid users) wont be treated any differently than the people who got BOC for free, that was all a bunch of BS.

18. LoneWolf

Sad but I believe you are right.
    I also believe BOClean will be history after today for me.

19. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Well there is now !
    Have done the change, uninstalled good, reboot, check for remnants, installed, updated, Seems ok, taking rejzors icons for a spin. (Not sure that is allowable under the eula?)

I like the "stop sign" and the "scan" flicker, but, at rest I think I'd just like the comodo icon rather than the "tick"
    Not sure what the icon at opening should be.

LOL Kevin's head spinning. :)

Attached Files:

20. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

21. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

I do not recall anyone commenting on this difference between the versions' licenses.(emphasis added)
    The original license for the paid users:
    The Comodo Free version:

22. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi FirePost,

There were comments about it:
    http://forums.comodo.com/comodo_boc...se_agreement_eula_comodo_boclean-t9956.0.html

It is in my humble opinion very, very strange that, according to the Comodo BOClean EULA, I cannot install BOClean on more than one machine (remember: I DID purchase several licences).

I absolutely don't like that at all (and you all might consider that as an understatement).

Yes, there were made comments about that at that thread by Kevin and Melih.

With the most greatest respect to Kevin:
    He made it clear that he was NOT speaking on behalf of Comodo.
    So, any comments made by him on this subject are completely useless.

And Melih made also some comments in that thread.
    Did it help? NO !
    Did he post clearly that you are allowed to install it on more than one PC?
    If so, please tell me where he did so.
    I can imagine that he don't want to post that in the most clearest words, because then he would contradict his own EULA.
    So, we see only words and words, just trying to circumvent the issue.

Once again:
    For heavens sake: I bought more than one licences, I have been a very loyal customer, I was allowed to install the paid-for BOClean on more than machine, and now that it is free I am not allowed to install it on more than one machine.

Come on, Comodo, get your act together and make it absolutely clear that it IS allowed to be installed on more than one home PC.

23. mercurie

I am sure I am assuming wrong :rolleyes:, but I figure we paid users get the old agreement, but who the hell knows anymore. :cautious:

24. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

Hello FanJ,

Thank you for that link. I see the issue about installing on personal computers was indeed mentioned on their forums.

25. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

As per the thread starters request, the fact that V4.24 is now off of update support, and not wishing casual readers to start examining a now sidelined version of this program, this thread will be closed.

The discussion itself is valuable and should continue in one of the threads focused on the release of V4.25, for example Comodo BOClean 4.25.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.