BoClean and McAfee Security Centre?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by CesiaS, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CesiaS

CesiaS Registered Member

I just installed BoClean 4.26 on my new Vista Premium computer - it came with Mcafee Security Centre installed. BoClean is configured to monitor the system continuously and McAfee has virus, spyware and script scanning enabled.
    Would they run without conflicts?

Thank You
    Cesia

2. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Give it a try, and see if it works for you.
    Go test it against malware.

3. curious george

curious george Registered Member

I dont think they should...but you cant be all too sure. Give it a wack, if your computer is bugging out, uninstall it. But i dont think they should have any trouble running together.

4. CesiaS

CesiaS Registered Member

Thanks

Good to know that at least there are no known issues
    Cesia

5. computer geek

Re: Thanks

Unfortunately, there are 2.
    1 is when sometimes, not always, mcafee is not allowed to update.
    2 is when you computer is slow (not always though, it might but not always)

6. CesiaS

CesiaS Registered Member

Are you saying that BOCLean could be preventing Mcafee from updating?

I noticed one annoying thing -messages from User Account Control about permitting BOC4Upd.exe to run ( Mcafee firewall set to tight, programs permission - BOC4UPD.exe Full Access , I'm set as an Administrator, Boclean set to check for update every 24 h)

My new Vista PC has a Quad Processor and 4GB RAM, so it shouldn't be slow.

Thanks
    Cesia

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  7. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Its been a long time since i used BOClean.
    But if the program then sometime had issues with some security software, then it was normally rectified by using program excludes in Bocleans settings.

8. computer geek

In some cases, mcafee cannot update.

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Never had any McAfee update issues with BOClean (in the old days anyway) on XP machine. I would see if I could not do Tony's suggestion. Do the exclusion. ;)

10. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

That's one of the biggest complaints I've got with Mcafee besides it using a ton of system resources, and the main reason I'm running another AV now. When I was running Mcafee AV only, I had 6 different Mcafee sub-programs constantly trying to access Mcafee servers, and I don't mean every hour or every couple of hours, I mean every surfing moment even with auto-updates turned off. It got to the point where it was ridiculous with all the logged outbounds. Then Mcafee started "acting up" when I cut off it's outbound access thru my FW. I e-mailed and even called Mcafee CSR's and they could come up with, imo, no logical reason for this constant 'net access, except one finally said, "That just because it's they it was it was designed".
    I don't mind updating an AV every couple or 3 days, and even every day if there's a supposed serious threat level, but I d*&^ sure want to know when it's updating and where it's connecting. That being said, I think Mcafee AV is a good product. I don't know about any of their other SW like their FW etc, as imo, there are a lot better products out there, and I would be cautious to install an AV and FW from the same SW manufacturer, as the FW may just be designed to let the AV connect out whenever it wants to.​
    As far as BoClean goes, I'm running it with another AV and have no problems, except I sometimes have to shut down BoClean as it has a tendency to go a little nuts and eat up CPU. I don't worry about disabling BoClean as I'm running imo, a quality AV, Firewall, and HIPS, along with the usual 4 or 5 other on-demand anti-malware scans.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  11. CesiaS

CesiaS Registered Member

I run manual update few times over several days to see is McAfee is updating OK, each time the message is that updates are up to date

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.