BOClean 4.24 coming soon

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Longboard, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

from Comodo forums and KMcA:
    First post: May 16.
    http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,8915.msg64723.html#msg64723

Last post today:
    Highlight:
    :cool:

2. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

*NO FEATURE REQUEST*.....stability and reliablity

Thats the best thing posted, KM needs to keep a lockdown on BOC, that program should stay as is, thats the reason I went back to version 4.22.

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

If there is nothing added then users with a 4.22 copy should stay with that anyway. :)

4. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I'm all for it. :D
    Although once version 4.24 comes out it looks like 4.22 will be non exsistent.
    I've said from day 1 when BOC became a part of Comodo.."If it aint broke dont fix it" but then of course I knew that was far from impossible because a couple of days later a thread was started "Comodo BOClean Wishlist"

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  5. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

To remove BOClean I just did a search for UNBOC.exe which wound up in my Windows folder somewhere and moved it to the Comodo BOClean program folder. Ran it from there and it worked fine...:eek: :D

6. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Let's see if Comode Bowl can prove itself this version or not. I am very not impressed as-is, but always hold out some hope they can see what the critics already are pointing out in their assessment of this.

Enough Said. I'm absent from this Topic now untill i hear or see reviews in favor of it. Bahhh!

7. Velnias

Velnias Registered Member

Let this dead horse rest in peace...

8. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

So if I read correctly you can't uninstall Comodo Boclean normally and have to have a different kind of way to uninstall it for the new one?

9. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

See my post #5, for some reason the uninstaller exe drops in windows not the program folder. It worked fine for me once I did a search for it and clicked on it...:thumb: :)

10. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

UNBOC.EXE is in my windows folder, too.
    Any guesses (anyone) as to why it would put itself there, rather than in the program files folder?

11. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

From a computer standpoint, files do not get stored in a particular folder unless either a user manually performs a move function or a software installer program has a script which places a file into a particular folder. Either the script is intentionally placing it in a system folder or it has a problem with using whatever program folder name that you specified. Since there are other program files in the folder that you just created, I would tend to think that the former is the reason why it is there.

12. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

RIP :D

13. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I am personally looking forward to the 4.24. Bo Clean has been around a long time and has been considered a great program. Comodo considered it good enough to pick it up. Maybe those people who feel that it is no good would provide a link to the security program they created?

14. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:) ....

15. Velnias

Velnias Registered Member

Wilders supposed to be security geeks, not program lovers, board.
    So please stop beating a dead horse - there is no fun anymore.

P.S. Most AV ( free too ) are more effective than BOClean. And having PC, full of pseudo security apps, makes no sense at all ( for safe driving only exceptionally people needs a tank ).

16. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

WAke Up! And smell the coffee. There are plenty of FREE security programs that leave BC behind in the dust. Ya wanna know another old timer?

FileMappbyBB :D

You diehard Comode Bo loyals refuse to see the light but then thats your choice to live in the 20th century too.

For pity's sake, even ProcessGuard in it's defunct and abandoned state far surpasses BC in every way, and thats with the free version too.

BC needs a COMPLETE makeover from head to foot no matter which way you look at it, or maybe it just is that peeps are satisfied enough with yesteryears creations and results.

17. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Security software is not set in stone. Development continues and there are reasons why development of BOclean stagnated which Kevin has highlighted. There is now in place at Comodo sufficient support to allow Kevin to develop his ideas and put them into practice so in a few months time BOclean could be the program that leaves others in the dust and you choking on your words.

18. poirot

poirot Registered Member

Also,apart from Easter2010 difficulties in running BoClean-which by his own admission,resulted in immediately throwing out of his computer the program,hence he neither tested nor even ran it- and Gizmo by now widely acclaimed method of testing an antimalware with HIPS rules, i wonder
    WHO
    ever showed in a serious manner (reliable test?)that Boclean is not working properly or is now in the DUST.....
    Easter2010 should also mention at least ONE program which is by FAR superior to Boclean, excluding HIPS,Antivirus and assorted Shadows.
    And ,although i may like his prose,he should mention a valid test to corroborate his words...

19. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Easy answer................NOBODY, because BOClean can't be tested in the same fashion as "normal" app's which is also why they can claim anything with regards to detection (over 1000000 according to the website), but no one knows, all i can honestly say is that it has failed more than once on my pc's with regards both detection and removal and i won't waste CPU on it until a completely rewritten program is released.

It will be interesting to see what Kevin comes up with now that there are no excuses for not developing new more effective versions of BOClean with the resources being put at his disposal which has been stated many times by him and Melih.

20. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Good point Don.
    They also probably have enough capital to pony up for a really good review now too.

21. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Is it really that hard to test Boclean? Why is that? Isnt there any samples of (real) trojans somewhere that you can use to see if it catches them? Why would Boclean be harder to test than say an AV? Boclean has failed "more than once" in your machine. Fine, but what does that say really? It is no big news that any security software, including Karspersky, misses samples. Is there any tests that shows that Boclean doesnt work as advertised? One that actually test Boclean for what it is supposed to protect against.

22. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

sukarof,
    Well said. You have put into words what I have had a hard time doing. Some are so hung up on scanners!:p

23. malformed

malformed Former Poster

BOclean is Yesterday. Nothing new, nothing worthy of note - it's a basic signature based memory scanner. Hardly worth the money or resources now that is freeware. I'm still looking for a response to the queries in this post by NTL. [especialy responses to No.2 as well as Kevin's comments on No.4 and 5.]

24. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Earlier in this thread I posted I was happy about Kevin stating NO feature request and that he wants stability and reliability but since then I have removed the program (older version 4.22) from my computer completely, I guess you can call it an uneasy feeling about Comodo.
    I'm not by any means a *safe surfer* and since the removal of BOC my computer still only finds a couple of tracking cookies, so now my question is, do I really need BOC as part of my security program?
    I know its considered a second of line of defense behind your AV but I didn't find any type of malware while using BOC and I'm not finding anything without it.

I too would be curious as to some legitimate testing results of BOC if this is at all possible.

25. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I am a high risk surfer and some times a high risc downloader, (but for some reason I never get any dangerous mail attachments o_O ) my experience is that none of all of the security software that i have used (HIPS,CIPS, Sandbox for example) has ever proven them selves to prevent any malware unless I intentionally run the malware. My conclusion is that I just dont encounter any. But I keep an arsenal of layered defense - for peace of mind. And it is fun to learn about security.

No, you dont need Boclean, as far as I am conserned no normal user needs most of the software that are discussed in this kind of forums. My view is that a firewall, a antivirus and a browser where you control the javascripts for peace of mind is mostly enough, and peace of mind is what the security industry is all about really.

If you feel that Boclean doesnt give you peace of mind, it is so simple not to use it.

*edit*

Well, maybe I was boasting a bit too much about me being a high risk surfer, when I come to think of it. I dont use instant messaging software at all, I guess those are one big source spreading malware if you cant handle them.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.