BOClean 4.11

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by FanJ, Aug 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr.mark

mr.mark Guest

hi kevin

thanks for the reply

no system restore here... win2000 (should have noted that). i did use windows add/remove and not BOClean uninstaller, if that makes any diff.

probably not.

i'll do as suggested... uninstall 4.11, then reinstall. i'd read about doing that anyway and was hoping for an easy way out. that'll probably fix me up.

will post back.

best regards

:)

mark

2. Aha! I think I know what happened ... there was a service pack they did for Win2000 a while ago that broke long filenames with a space in it (like "Program Files") which caused a LOT of other vendors to throw their hands up in the air and warn NOT to install into a folder with spaces in it. BOClean 4.10 was designed to copy itself into the SYSTEM32 folder if something like this was encountered. That would explain the secondary. Yes, Add/Remove from the control panel calls the same uninstall as is found in the BOClean group ...

I suspect the uninstall and reinstall using our 4.11 installer will take care of it - if that happens again (shouldn't) then look for a copy of BOCLEAN.EXE in your SYSTEM32 folder. We're not doing that anymore since Microsoft eventually fixed that scrooched service pack.

3. mr.mark

mr.mark Guest

wow, no sleep for kevin... :)

i'm getting ready to reinstall 4.11 on w2k in a minute

but meanwhile, i followed the same proceedure on winxp (i purchased the extended download service!), and all went exceedingly well.

okay, i'll go get that w2k reinstall going...

mark

4. mr.mark

mr.mark Guest

the uninstall of 4.11 and reinstall did not get rid of the 4.10 systray icon.

i'll check system32 folder...

5. mr.mark

mr.mark Guest

none there...

hey this is certainly not an emergency. i'd rather see you get some sleep and we'll pick this up tomorrow or something. okay?

thanks

mark

6. Weird with a beard ... it's actually been pretty quiet on the support side here, but before I leave for the night, let's try this ... (I hate to leave things and people hanging) ...

Do that uninstall one last time ... and when it's DONE, use the find/search for files thing and see if you can turn up another copy of BOCLEAN.EXE somewhere. There's gotta be one that WE didn't move if that's the case. While waiting on ya, was just going back over the code and we DEFINITELY clean out that one I thought might have been in the SYSTEM32 folder.

So we've got us a straggler for reasons I can't fathom. I'm quite curious as to where that might be so we can make sure to look for it in our install/uninstall. Don't mind my obsession though - I'm kinda cranky about everything being right. :)

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hey, Kevin, while you're waiting for Mr.Mark, just wanted to say I like this 4.11 so far, thanks.

Acadia

8. mr.mark

mr.mark Guest

i have some more pertinent info for you as to what this may/must be....

i am dual booting w2k and w98se on that one box.

the 4.10 icon in the systray alongside the 4.11 icon is linked to w98se, kevin!

i realized it when i tried updating via the 4.10 icon and i watched the path to the w98se drive.

and i haven't upgraded w98se yet.

my plan is to upgrade w98se to 4.11

then boot back into w2k, uninstall 4.11 again, then reinstall.

that way 4.10 will not be on the other operating system.

this all make sense?

mark

9. Yeah, sure does ... leave it to Microsoft to come up with a dool boot system where one "virtual machine" can play peek-a-boo with the other. Kinda comical and sad, actually. :)

YES, I suspect you've successfully "spotted the loony" and once you've replaced the other, there'll be no further uprisings in the Palace. I woulda never thought of THAT one. Heh.

And HOWDY, Acadia! Well, I'm off ... in more ways than one. (grin)

10. mr.mark

mr.mark Guest

will know in a little bit...

11. mr.mark

mr.mark Guest

there are no further uprisings in the palace

that took care of it

in looking back, i recall now that i have often seen w98 BOC date change (but not the actual database) when i have updated BOC in w2k. so i have been at least vaguely aware that the two BOC's were "seeing" each other.

thanks for sticking with me throughout this mystery. i appreciate it, and i appreciate BOClean

mark

12. I love a mystery, but this one was a corker. Never a dull moment in Billyworld. Heh. Now I'll be able to sleep peacefully. =)

13. mr.mark

mr.mark Guest

yes me too. i don't much care for unresolved issues either, no matter how insignificant they might be. it's good to get them out of the way.

adios

14. WYBaugh

WYBaugh Registered Member

Hey WilliamP,

I am running the same config as yourself...WinXP Pro, NOD32 2.1 and BOClean 4.11 and am having absolutely no problems. Not sure if I have been one of the lucky ones, but I've never had a conflict between NOD and BOClean.

I just wanted to let you know that the configuration does work great so don't get too disappointed.

Bill

15. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I tried again this morning to download 411. I had the same problems. I couldn't do anything with the computer if BOClean was enabled. It doesn't like my system.

16. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Kevin,

Warm welcome !!!!!
    It's always nice to see you ! :D
    Thanks for the new BOClean: running fine here on my W 98 SE box.

I hope you and Nancy can find some moments to rest and get some sleep.
    Your help is always appreciated.

Best regards, Jan.

17. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi William,

Maybe it is my fault but I don't understand the problem fully (sorry!!).
    Would you mind to describe it another time?

It is not clear to me whether you have
    - problems "downloading" BOClean 4.11 (you said "I tried again this morning to download 411. I had the same problems"), or
    - that you have a problem with its installation, or
    - that you have a problem after you have installed it......

Cheers, Jan.

18. WilliamP

I didn't seem to have any problems with the download. It was after BOClean was loaded I couldn't get Internet Explorer to respond and basically locked up everything.

19. FanJ

FanJ Guest

OK,
    I understood that you are running NOD32 version 2.
    Am I right?

Have you tried to exclude the following two BOClean-files in NOD32:

C:\Program Files\NSClean\BOClean\BOClean.EXE

C:\Program Files\NSClean\BOClean\BOCSEC.EXE

I am not sure whether this would help, but you could try it.

Of course the advice from Kevin would be the best help !!
    I hope he will jump in later.

20. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

dont mean to hi-jack, just want to
    let you all know i am also running BoClean 4.11
    and Nod32 and am having no problems what so ever ;)
    WillianP i hope you get it worked out :)

21. WilliamP

Fanj ,I tried the exclude in NOD but it doesn't work. I don't think that is the problem because if I closed BOClean everything worked fine.

22. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

William

For some reason it looks as if AMON and BOClean will not co-exist happily on YOUR system.

Have you tried disabling AMON or uninstalling NOD and then observing what effect this has on BOClean ?

Have you tried the BOClean exclude of AMON/NOD? rather than the other way round?

Other temporary solution may be to load only one of these programs on boot-up, then re-enable the second one!

But I would also try and remove any 'junk' in your registry and hard-disc as I suggested previously( but take a back-up before you carry out this suggestion).

23. WilliamP

I tried disabling AMON . Also I keep my registry cleaned out with REG Scrub XP. It may be that the two real time monitors are too much. If I put nod 32 in the BOClean exclude , how would that help?

24. WilliamP

I did try shutting down BOCLEAN then reenabling it but it didn't do any good.

25. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

William

I have tried RegScrub before and it does not clean as much as the free RegSeeker. This Registry Cleaner I would recommend, but do not forget backup.

Are the problems still there if you disable AMON?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.