BOClean 4.11 installer hangs

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by nameless, Nov 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Whenever I try to install BOClean 4.11, the installer copies some files, then, when I expect it to tell me that I can get on with my life, it freezes up. I've tried this several times now, with the same result each time. Waiting it out does no good.

The system in question is WinXP SP-2, and yes, I have everything closed down (including all NOD32 scanning modules). I've also tried rebooting, of course. And I have no other scanners loaded in the background.

This may be an aside, but I noticed that as soon as the BOClean 4.11 installer is launched, it extracts all its files to the %TEMP% directory. This is a really lame thing to do, since it could result in a file name collision (including the installer itself). It should create a subdirectory with a random name, and put the files there.

Any clues are welcome.

2. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

have you tried installing in safe mode?

3. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Have no idea what you have installed and running on your PC at the same time now..but surely when you download BOClean or any other trusted product and then try to install it..you turn off any third party programs of a process guards..AV etc. Your comments on how it installs are funny as well as what it should do..but stick with it..you will figure it out..installs just fine.

You are the last one that I would ever think to have problems installing BOClean or any other product. hmmmm :mad:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=16154

4. muf

muf Registered Member

Have you tried downloading it again in case the copy you have is corrupted? It is always worth trying that. If that doesn't work then send an e-mail to Kevin asking for assistance. Trust me when i say he will help you get to the bottom of it. support@nsclean.com

good luck.
    muf

5. nameless

I'm not quite sure what you mean. In any event, I'm doing everything I would normally do to prevent problems. I even tried installing from a path without spaces, thinking maybe the installer was archaic enough to have a problem with it.

I'm not worried about it. The installer doesn't do much, and it can be done by hand even. I would just prefer that it ran as it should, and was just hoping that maybe someone had seen this before and knew of a quick, direct solution somehow.

6. Primrose

Not sure what you tired to circumvent..but it installs fine when you do not have other third party programs in the way. Doing it all by hand sure sound like a bummer. What is this archaic stuff ? :)

what was your response to install it in the safe mode?

Are you buying it directly from the BOClean download link or another ?

Give me the download link where you obtained the installer.

7. nameless

Didn't try circumventing anything. Just ran the installer as normal. I have no third-party applications running, except the NOD32 kernel, which shouldn't matter since all the modules are disabled. And saying "it installs fine" doesn't seem to apply here. :)

Didn't try Safe Mode, but good idea. I give up for now. I need to take a break from all these applications which have become more of a job than a help of any sort.

I bought BOClean long ago... Didn't they send it via email? I can't remember. However they made it available to regged users, that's how I got it. If I was given a link to a regged-user-only download, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want me putting it here. :)

Thanks for the replies; I appreciate it. I'm all set.

8. Primrose

LOL yea right..well in any case it goes like clock work no matter where you got your boclean411.exe.

unless you messed with the drive or were not admin..might want to check if what do did get long ago and did not use yet to make sure it is not corrupted.

http://www.nsclean.com/supboc.html
    To install or upgrade to BOClean 4.11 from the web:

If you currently run BOClean, double-click the icon in the taskbar that looks like a vacuum cleaner and select "Shutdown BOClean" when the BOClean menu pops up.
    Right-Click here and choose "Save Target As" to download the BOClean 4.11 installer from the web server. Save it to your desktop.
    Run the installer by double-clicking the boclean411.exe icon you just downloaded. This will install BOClean.
    Reboot the computer to initialize BOClean 4.11.
    Boclean will automatically check for updates and prompt you if any are available. If you are using Windows NT, 2000, or XP, you must be logged in as an Administrator for this to work and to be able to apply updates.

Don't worry about posting the link :D

9. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

You most probably do have an outdated version. Better contact support ;)

regards.

paul

10. nameless

No, it's the latest: 4.11.001. I had 4.10 originally, but received the updates along the way.

11. nameless

The whole point of this thread is that it isn't going like clockwork for me. Maybe it does normally, but it isn't for me.

I just checked, and I got BOClean 4.11.001 as an email attachment, from nancymca (at) privsoft.com. The original filename was BOC411.EXE. I'm not a thief if that was the implication (which it seems to have been). I got that email in August of 2003, which is why I couldn't remember for sure without checking.

Again, no more replies are needed (yeah, like that will work :)). I'm all set.

12. Primrose

Ask Kevin or Nancy for a new one..they will fix you right up.

13. Nancy_McAleavey

Nancy_McAleavey Expert Member

Nameless,

Email me. I will get you a fresh copy. Best to start again with a known good file.

14. Primrose

As I recall BOC411.EXE is the EasyZip Self-Extractor Pro "Stub"

For backgound..EasyZIP Self-Extractor Pro 1.0b
    This is was the first Win95 self-extractor to offer all of the following features: Creates self-extracting archives which only take up 15 to 17 kilobytes more than the ZIP file which they were created from, Creates 16 and 32-bit archives (If you choose to create a 16-bit archive, you won't have to give up long filename support! If a platform which supports long filenames (such as Win95) is detected, long filenames will be preserved), Works in the background after extraction to automatically run a program (Without being prompted!), and Optionally delete the extracted files after the program is done running. If you like, it will display a progress bar while files are extracted so users will know how long something will take. Uses a Wizard interface so creating archives is a snap.

I do not know what yours was loaded with or what version was used with your BOC411.EXE. That is why I asked Nancy to give you a hand again. :)

One as i recall was for updating when you had the old verison already installed.

Hope it all work out well for you with a new Installer.

I had thought possibly you used it once already..and now the dog would not hunt.

Most installer for that version i have seen were called boclean411.exe.

But it could be just a name thing over a period of time.

15. nameless

Nancy just sent me a replacement (this time, a ZIP file). I compared the hashes of all the files inside, and can see that BOCEXC.EXE and BOCLEAN.EXE have changed. (BOC411.XVU has, too, but that is irrelevant.) My previous files weren't corrupt, these are just updates.

Thanks to all who replied. I haven't tried installing BOClean again, because I'm giving Ewido another shot first. (I'm not quite nuts; the Ewido folks just got back to me on a problem I reported awhile ago.)

So much fun, fun, fun!

16. Primrose

Good... hope this time it does really install for you.

A NEW section marked "AUTOUPDATE OPTIONS" in BOClean 4.11 provides control over the autoupdate feature as well as allows you to set the location for the BOC411.XVU database update file.

The top checkbox allows you to specify a location for the trojan horse datafile (BOC411.XVU) that is different from its normal default location at C:\BOC411.XVU .This need not be changed for those using the Autoupdate feature. It permits the BOC411.XVU trojan horse datafile to be placed in a location of your choice and also permits network administrators to provide a common location on a server so that all users of BOClean on their desktops can all be pointed at a single shared copy of the BOC411.XVU file for a network deployed situtation. It's intended for network-forced updating and won't be needed by most individual users. This checkbox will default to C:\BOC411.XVU if no other location is specified. This default location is also the default for the Autoupdater, which we recommend be used. If you use it, be sure to include the BOC411.XVU filename in whatever location you may put in here or it won't be found and BOClean will complain about it not existing.

This is a good read in the 4.11 for install and if you have questions

http://www.nsclean.com/supboc.html

Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
  17. nameless

Thanks. I once made the mistake of bothering to specify an alternate location for the XVU file. I found out that BOClean made a copy of the file, and put it in C:\, anyway (as a backup). So there was no point in specifying an alternate location. I wanted it in the BOClean install directory, but BOClean wouldn't have it. This was with 4.10, but I assume that nothing has changed.

Edit: BOClean installed fine this time.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.