Bluetooth mouse - Ok to buy?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by aigle, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I want to buy a bluetooth mouse. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse combo from ligitech since long but I don,t like it,s USB receiver( way too big). Also I don,t find the shape and size of the mouse comfortable to me.

I read on internet some users who were complaining that they had to switch over to wireless mouse from bluetooth one due to a bit poor performance by bluetooth mouse( lag, connectivity issues etc).

Also issue is the drain put by a bluetooth mouse on the battery. Not sure if it will affect the battery life significantly as compared to wireless one?

I wonder if there are users on this forum who can share their personal experience and give me some feedback.

Thanks

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

You will notice lag with a bluetooth mouse. I recommend Logitech M510. It is the best mouse for money currently out there. No lag and the usb receiver is tiny. The battery life is excellent.

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i have the slightly smaller M505 for my laptop and i couldnt be happier, it works great as well.

4. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

I prefer full size mice as they are easier and comfortable for me to hold. The only thing I do not like about M510 is the scroll wheel. If it had a smooth scroll wheel, this would have been the perfect mouse.

5. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Aigle, I've been using a Logitech Bluetooth mouse with my notebook for almost five years. I wanted Bluetooth because all the USB receivers at the time were pretty big. I was afraid that eventually I'd break the receiver. I'm pretty happy with the performance of my mouse. There is no lag in using the mouse, but occasionally there will be a pause for a few seconds. I guess I've gotten used to it because it doesn't really bother me. Since USB receivers have gotten so small, if I needed a new mouse, I'd probably take a look at a USB version. But I'll keep using the Bluetooth mouse as long as it works.

6. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

What is the difference between lag and pause for few seconds! :p

7. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

"Lag" to me, would be for much less than a second.

If there is a delay of "a few seconds", that is a much more serious problem.

Like most things, there are cheap, good and best and that applies to Bluetooth devices. I have a Microsoft 5000 mouse that I really like and I also have a Logitech 505 for my notebook that I really like too.

BUT - you really cannot go by what anyone says concerning size and feel. The mouse, like the keyboard, are extensions of YOUR hands, and therefore must feel good to you, not me or anyone else. So I recommend visiting a local store and you play touchy feely with each.

Don't get confused by terminology. Bluetooth IS wireless too. So is RF (radio - and note, Bluetooth is radio too) and IR (infrared) and any other type that does not use wires.

Also, the type of tracking is also important - that is the type of laser or LED used. Blue laser is great for notebooks because the mouse will work on carpets, chair arms, pants, etc. - nice when traveling.

The batteries in both mice and my Bluetooth keyboard have been lasting me about 7 - 8 months - which I think is pretty good, since I never turn them off.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks all of you for so many informative replies. Seems it,s best to avoid a bluetooth mouse and get a wireless one instead.

9. Bill_Bright

o_O (1) Bluetooth is wireless and (2) Bluetooth works great for most users as long as you stay within 10 feet of the receiver.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am not confused with the terminology. I know what you mean but I am using common language to defferentiate two types of devices.

If you see the replies, almost all indicate a bit of problems with bluetooth mouse, no matter what is the distance from receiver. BTW I don,t expect one will be using them beyond 10 feeet from PC( receiver).

11. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

There is no delay in the time I move the mouse and the cursor moves on the screen. I consider this lag, and there is none to speak of with my Bluetooth mouse. Every once in a while, the mouse will stop working for a few seconds. My polite way of describing this is a "pause", if you will. :D

12. Bill_Bright

I understand and you are right, that "common language" is often use in that manner. But when the need comes to be technically correct, like when spending money, it is important to be exactly correct, to avoid misunderstand.

And forums are open for all to read and many do only that - they read about other users problems so they can learn when dealing with their own problems. You may have it clear in your head, but others reading, now or 3 months from now, need to understand that Bluetooth is wireless too. If you want to differentiate, then you need to be specific. Because if you walk into Best Buy and say "I want a wireless mouse", there's a good chance you will be shown a Bluetooth wireless mouse, and not an RF.

So I just want everyone to have it clear in their heads too.

Most people sit pretty right next to their computers when using a mouse and keyboard. For them range is not a problem. And most newer computers have 6, 8 or more USB ports, especially in back, or hubs are cheap.

If you sit across the room from your computer - as might be when computer is connected to a large TV - then you may not want Bluetooth.

13. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Thank you Professor Bill Bright! :rolleyes:

Best regards,

KOR!

P.S. It was an excellent lecture! :rolleyes:

14. Bill_Bright

Well, it is not meant to be a "lecture", but open forums are not just two way conversations either. People of all skill-sets may participate (share what they know, or ask questions), or just watch.

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've been using both types bluetooth and with USB receiver. Even though my bluetooth mouse is almost 4 years old it works very well. The only negative thing is the battery drain, it definitively uses more power than the USB one (batteries are cheap though even with a month autonomy).

Late models are probably more efficient.

16. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I use a wireless mouse on my desktop and a bluetooth mouse on my laptop. There's no noticeable difference as far as i can tell. I use a bluetooth mouse on the laptop as it doesnt require a usb reciever which frees up a usb port.

17. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Your posts are welcome, and i believe you are correct for what is worth. What's the point in having a language and naming things, if we are to mix them up to the point of not understanding.

I believe aigle appreciated it too. Do not worry about it.
    No 'USB rechargeable AA battery' thingy? :)

18. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

I have had bad luck with wireless keyboards and wireless mouse.
    I know many other that have experienced problems with wireless keyboards/mouse combos.

I haven't tried a Bluetooth mouse yet, because I'm not sure how good they are.

But before you decided to buy one, make sure that where you buy it from has a warranty and good return or refund policy.

I have also had problems with Logitech brand mouse. It appears that just don't last very long before components start to not function or break on them.

I have had good luck with HP and Microsoft brand mouse and keyboard combos.

Thanks.:D

19. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I had Logitech G9 and G15v2 before, now I have wireless M705 and K340 (128-bit AES) and they work just fine for ~18 months and I have not had to replace batteries yet.
    I also use a wireless digital headphones with no sound compression, so I get the same sound as I would get with a cable without any hiss. I never want to see a cable again.

20. hawki

hawki Registered Member

FYI: The newer higher-end Logitechs have USB receivers that are tiny -- the part that extends out from the USB plug is smaller than a nickle.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

yes that,s good as the big dongle was a big turn off indeed.

22. hawki

hawki Registered Member

http://www.mytechsupportstore.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Logitech-Wireless-Mouse-M325.jpg

I think that only the mice with a "Nano Receiver" or "Unifying Receiver" feature have the tiny receiver. With the unifying reciever one single usb receiver serves as the receiver for any other Logitech wireless devices you may have (e.g., keyboard)

See all Logitech mice here: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.