Blue screen of death on system drive backup reboot

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by bennyzr, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bennyzr

bennyzr Registered Member

Hi,

I have 2 primary partitions on my hard disk with Windows XP being the second one. I am trying to create a single bootable DVD with both partitions on the DVD. I tried to backup the entire disk. The first partition was backed up fine. For some reason when the backup process for the second partition started I was prompted to open a file for the second partition backup. I chose the file that was created for the first partition. Then I was directed to reboot. After rebooting the blue mode view came up for a second then I saw a blue screen of death flash then my system rebooted. The only way for me to be able to boot back into Windows was to first boot into safe mode then restart in normal mode. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Benny

2. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

The only way to know for sure what caused the BSOD would be to use the "Disable restart on system failure" boot option (F8 ) and look at the error, if its not happening now then its going to be difficult to diagnose what caused it.

If you can still get the BSOD, use that boot option and let us know the error code.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2010
  3. bennyzr

Hi,

I just noticed that there is another thread with the same problem I am initially having: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=257152. It would seem that this bug is still at large. I will try your suggestion in that thread and see what happens. I just created a typical boot cd that wants a password, after I boot with it, that I do not have.

In any case the BSOD just states the regular few paragraphs how the system is unstable and needs to be shut down. On the bottom there is a line for technical data: *** Stop:0x0000008E(0x0000005, 0x00000001, 0xF980aaa0, 0x00000000). I hope this helps you fix the bug.

Thanks,
    Benny

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  4. bennyzr

Hi,

Is there any chance that I can get the password for the boot CD in the meantime?

Thanks,
    Benny

5. Paragon_MattK

There shouldn't be a password on the boot CD, I'm not sure why you are seeing this. Can you try and make a WinPE recovery CD? It will be available from our website if you log into your account (that is, if you purchased a package that included this recovery CD). If that is not available, you could also try creating a BartPE recovery disk as well, see this thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=257771&highlight=BartPe

As far as that stop error goes, it could be either a driver issue or a hardware issue, specifically the RAM. Something else you could try is the "Last known good configuration" boot option, but I am guessing you have tried that?

Also, if you have DB10, the WinPE recovery CD has a "P2P Adjust Wizard", this is typically used for restoring an image to dissimilar hardware, however if it is a driver issue, you can use this to rebuild your HAL.DLL (hardware profile) which should resolve the issue, but you will need to reload all of your drivers, to do this simply run through the wizard and select do not upload drivers. That will cause it to only reset the HAL.DLL.

6. 62cwil

62cwil Registered Member

Matt, I spoke to you friday on same issue and you advised me the same which I have done. You mentioned that I might have to redo my wireless driver and others. For what it is worth my wireless is working same as before and also my printer is working normal. Should I seek out drivers I need and go to their web sites or just update as an issue come up.
    Charles

7. Paragon_MattK

You are probably fine to just update them as issues appear, but for the mainboard/chipset and graphics I would highly recommend using the latest driver's available as they could improve system performance and stability over the generic windows drivers.

8. bennyzr

Hi,

I would like to post an update to this thread. While I do not think I have access to the WinPE recovery CD since I am using the free version of Paragon backup, I was able to boot with the recovery CD I created on another, newer system (Pentium 4). I would like to specify that the older system on which I am getting the BSOD errors when using the installed software and where I am getting prompted for a password when using the recovery CD is a Pentium 2 440BX motherboard running a 1.4 GHz Celeron CPU.

All I want to do is to be able to make a backup image of my hard disk partitions. I will try to make a BartPE CD now. Otherwise, any other help will be greatly appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.