blue screen of death after 15 minutes

Discussion in 'hardware' started by marthe224, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marthe224

marthe224 Registered Member

Whether I am on the internet or running a program after about 15 minutes , my computer crashes with the blue screen of death here is what it says
    Stop Ox0000008E 9OxC0000005, OxEDA5C87E,OXB139BB0C, 0X00000000

XGIEsc.sys - Address EDA5C87E base at EDA57000,Data 4402b074

When I reboot it says that my system has recovered from a serious error with the following info BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : ED98287E BCP3 : B1D97B0C
    BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1

C:\DOCUME~1\EMERGE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERae6c.dir00\Mini040810-05.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\EMERGE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERae6c.dir00\sysdata.xml

I have an old computer running on Windows XP home.

If you can help me I would be very grateful.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

maybe you graphics card is playing up, did you try the latest drivers assuming there are some. As a guess try from the site www.xgitech.com/

Does it crash without fail after around 15min? If you boot in SafeMode does the same happen?

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello marthe224,

If you haven't installed any software recently I would look to hardware issues. Blue screens are typically tied to those two issues.

Power supply failures are one of the most common issues. Ram failures are another.

This doesn't mean it's your particular problem but something to think about.

Look in the XP event viewer and device manager located in the control panel for any errors concerning your system.

4. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Drivers incompatibility and hardware failure are the things to check.
    1. Install latest drivers of all hardware parts and use the latest motherboard bios.
    2. Use memtest (for example using a linux cd like Ubuntu alternate cd ) to check your memory. If you have more than one module, test each one and then all together.
    3. If you have more than one memory module installed, remove one every time and see if the problems are still there. If the problems go away when you remove a specific module then that is faulty.

These are the first checks to do. I mean that memory is the first thing to check about these issues.

extra things:
    4. Download speedfan or everest to control your temperatures.
    5. HDTune to control your disks.

5. marthe224

When I boot into safe mode it doesn't crash, otherwise it will crash in about 20 minutes. Also if I log onto my computer using another profile it seems to work without a hitch

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

7. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Also check for heat, overheating can lead to BSOD sometimes.

8. marthe224

Thank you to all you have offered their help. Since it ran without a problem in safe mode, I next tried booting it up in my emergency profile that I created over two years ago. Again it ran without a problem. I then concluded that my problem was being caused by a software application. I then went to msconfig and disabled all my start ups. Still no problem. I then enabled my most important programs (about 13) to start up and so far all is well. I can either continue to enable until it crashes or I can wait until I start an application and see if that is the one that is causing the problem.

9. 2good

2good Guest

if thats the case you might want to try Who Crashed just install it & run it will give you all the information you want.

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I'm dealing with some blue screens myself. That tool looks helpful. Have you used it yourself? Has anyone else? :)

11. marthe224

I ran Who Crashed and this is what it reported: Unfortunately it makes no sense to me as I am just an intermediate user. As I have said all is currently working well because of what I did as stated before. Perhaps someone can tell me in plain English what the error message means.

On Fri 4/9/2010 9:35:04 PM your computer crashed
    This was likely caused by the following module: xgiesc.sys
    Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xC0000005, 0xEB65B87E, 0xB152CB0C, 0x0)
    Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\xgiesc.sys

12. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

it told you what you already know that the crash was probably due to xgiesc.sys which in turn forms part of your graphics card software. Continue as you are troubleshooting, enabling app by app until you find the one that causes the crash (could be something to do with graphics card).

13. marthe224

I just ran Malwarebytes full scan. It was fine for the first hour but when I returned two hours later, my system had crashed with the same error message that I received previously when I ran Who Crashed. The same thing happened when I ran Superantispyware full scan; however, when I ran a full scan using Spyware Terminator it ran for two hours without incident and showed no infections.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.