blue screen frustration

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 5cedarmooses, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5cedarmooses

5cedarmooses Registered Member

2 questions
    when we copy a partition from an hd does it copy only the space of the data or the whole space. It is important to know when we restore for the space we need

if I back up not choosing active is it possible to make it active after with some boot manager

I am testing TI 11 and no matter what I do to back up an hd c from onr lap to a partition on an other lap. I can't never boot and always gets a blue screen error

2. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

What do you mean with 'copy'?
    Do you mean a copy-statement or a copy-function in the windows-explorer?

You can do that with Acronis DiskDirector, PQ-Magic, FDisk, ...

Have both laptops the same hardware?

3. 5cedarmooses

I mean TI 11 disk/partition back up or cloning they call it not copying sorry
    I want to transfer my HD (only one partition) xp pro + other sotwares that I would need from my new dell d800 to my old dell 840 (two partitions) C is xp pro and D is data only but the new hd on d800 is smaller and will be full soon.
    My two partitions are about equal 40/40 on my old 80 gig and I am trying to transfer the 60 gig d800 which is only 20 gig full onto one of the 40 gig partition. I hope it is not too confusing:(
    I first tought that switching only hd would make it but none work eventhough they have the same connector

4. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

restoring a system partition from one computer to another computer this will never work (not with the basic true image version). True image is only design to restore the hard drive from computer "A" to another hard drive on computer "A". Sometimes it might work on a desktop with similar hardware, but on laptops the hardware is usually entirely too different to be successful.

5. 5cedarmooses

wow I am totally wrong then
    What about if I change to a bigger hd on my new dell
    would I be able to restore the previous system partition back up of the previous hd on it

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If you make a backup image of the entire hard drive on your computer (probably to an external hard drive), you could restore that image to a new, larger hard drive for that same computer. If you only restore the boot/system partition, it may boot. However, it depends on what partitions existed on the old drive and whether the boot parttion is in the same position on the new drive.

If possible, make an image of the entire old drive. Restore the entire image to the new drive and confirm that it boots normally. Then delete any data partitions D, E, etc. Repeat the restore, but select only the C, system partition, and when you restore it you can select the size for the new drive. I would expect that you would want to make it larger. After that, you can restore any data partitions (D, E, etc.) one at a time an adjust their size as you want.

When you are done, you will have a bootable system on the new, larger hard drive with all the partitions in their new sizes.

John

7. 5cedarmooses

Thanks sooooo much I understand a little more how TI work

Do my external hd has to be as big as the whole hd I am imaging or does it take only the space of what is on it. My spare Hd is only 30 gig and the new lap hd is 60 gig but only 20 some gig are used.

8. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

To restore a Backup Image made on one computer to another computer you have a couple of options:

1). You need the extra cost add-on called Universal Restore for the Workstation version of True Image ... OR,

2). Before you make the Backup Image of the old system, change the Display Adapter to Standard VGA, then make the Image. Then you can restore the Image to the new system, using the True Image Bootable Rescue cd. After the restore process is done and you boot the system for the first time, it will go through a whole slew of "Found New Hardware" gyrations. Let it finish. For some of those it will ask for the drivers so it will be good to have them handy on a usb drive, cd or a flash drive. After all the "Found New Hardware" messages are done, check in Device Manager to see if you have any drivers missing (black exclamation mark on yellow background).

I successfully did this latter one only a couple weeks ago with a Vista/XP dual boot system from a laptop to a desktop. It should work for you too.

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Well, that's nice and simple and should be a sticky for migrating from machine A to machine B.

10. 5cedarmooses

ok but nobody has answered my last question about size

11. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

In this case size does not matter.

Xpilot

12. 5cedarmooses

but my new hd is smaller 60 gig than the old one 80 gig that is why I was rrying to image only the system partition how can I image the whole drive on it is it not impossible unless I delete some parts of it before to reduce to 60 gig contents. Am I understanding right?
    Also I don't quite understand your second restore where do I restore it over the first one or on a second partition little confusing to me.

13. chippster

chippster Registered Member

I've had some blue screen issues recently using the TI Echo workstation. I'm trying to go from box A to box B, completely different hardware. Originally, I went thru box A and uninstalled everything in the device manager and used Sysprep, shutdown the machine, booted with the Acronis and did a clone disk. I was using a USB drive connection for the SATA drive. The cloning went thru without a hitch. But when i put the new SATA HDD in box B, it blue screened while loading Windows...I was given the generic 0x0000007E error with no driver listed.

So onto phase two, I ordered teh Universal Restore product. So I made the boot up for the Universal restore on box A, it gave me the Computer name and IP address to connect remotely. Then on the machine that the Acronis Management Console is installed, I connected remotely, and did a backup of the entire harddrive.

After that completed, I plugged in the SATA into the computer (directly to the motherboard) that has the management console installed. I did the restore and chose the option for Universal Restore. However during the restor process, about half wy thru, I am prompted with a box that says it has completed the recovery with errors.

The errors I get are:

Failed to install service from section 'pciide_Inst.Services'.
    Failed to install service from section 'pciide_Inst.Services'.
    Failed to install service from section 'aic78xx_Inst.Services'.
    Failed to install service from section 'atapi_Inst_primary.Services'.
    Failed to install service from section 'atapi_Inst_secondary.Services'.
    Operation has completed with errors.

What am I doing wrong, or how can I make this work? :blink:

TIA
    -Chip

14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello chippster,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please notice that Acronis Universal Restore is intended to be used from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media (or Acronis Bootable Agent) on the computer the system is being restored to.

Please see chapter 3.7 "Acronis Universal Restore" of Acronis True Image Echo Workstation User's Guide for detailed information on how to use Acronis Universal Restore.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.