Blowfish Advanced CS

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Master99, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master99

Master99 Registered Member

Has anyone experienced difficulty decryping files with this? It works like a dream normally.

I encrypted some files about a year ago for safe keeping and when I try to decrypt, some decrypt fine and some do not?? The password has'nt changed nor do I keep different passwords for different files.

Someone else suggested I re-install an earlier version of Blowfish which I did - however, it made no difference.

Now, I am a bit concerned, as I considered this program fast, efficient and reliable - now I am not so sure...:( Luckily for me its not the end of the world if I loose these files but I hoped I could rely on this program.

Any suggestions?

2. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

There is a very good article about encrypting software at the Microsoft website. I can't provide you with the direct link (as it was a couple of weeks ago that I read the article), but you could do an article search at the MS website and possibly find it. The gist of the article was that most of the encryption software floating around was fairly unreliable, easy to crack and contained lots of bugs. I don't remember a lot of specifics, and they refrained from naming specific software, but after reading that article, it's not surprising to see people having problems with this kind of software. Sad it say, you are most likely experiencing one of those "bugs" in the program. One thing I do remember is that, if you do any kind of disk defragmentation, it can really mess up your encrypted files, depending on the encryption method used by the program. Since you encrypted the files around a year ago, I imagine you may have defagged your HD during that time. I know I defrag mine about once a month or so. That could be one possibility, anyway.

3. Master99

Master99 Registered Member

Thank you for coming back to me, KDNeese.

You have confirmed my suspicions about defrag - I defrag regularly and generally run utilities to keep the PC clean - so its a good bet that this is the problem.

I remember using a different file encryption program a number of years ago and straight after a defrag, I tried decryping a file - it would'nt... But, strangely, in that case, I just re-encrypted that file and then decryped twice and it worked!!

But not in this case unfortunately... I thought that the blowfish advanced program was reliable - its certainly very fast and easy to use. I will be careful about these types of programs in the future.

Anyway, many thanks for you comments - looks like they will never decrypt now unless someone has any other suggestions...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.