Blocking the outbound access.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Solaris, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solaris

Solaris Registered Member

Hi,

Do you know a simple soft (and light) to allow or not the network access?
    I want to use the firewall in Vista, configured by default, but also to block some applications that try to connect to the web.

Thanks.

2. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Maybe you can try Vista Firewall Control (Free or Paid) if that is enough to you.

3. Solaris

Solaris Registered Member

Hi MikeNAS,

I thought this solution (without trying). I have heard not very positive things about it. Have you heard anybody satisfied with this soft?

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

What about bigC a former moderator of wilders Forum and having a lot of knowledge on FireWalls. :blink: Use the free version you will be surprised

5. Bob2000

Bob2000 Registered Member

I have the same question but for XP Pro SP2.

I use a hardware router/firewall, the XP SP2 Firewall and Avira AntiVir Personal.

I don't want to a program that detects inbound traffic. Just one that alerts me to any outbound internet traffic with the option to block it. Nothing else.

I've tried DSA v2 with Email, System and Process all unchecked but my system seems to have slowed.

Is there a simpler utility I can use?

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Unfortunately your choises are limited. I have been looking for such a thing for long time now. Threatfire is capable of monitoring for network connections with custom rules. It works pretty well. Some of the other HIPS/IDS type applications will do the same. There are even many free firewalls to do that. Two free opensource ones would be DCfirewall and iSafer. They aren't that great, but will do what you want.

I gave up and just put Outpost v2 back on and made 2 rules, allow and deny. Now when an app pops up, it is a really easy choise.

I also browse in a sandbox and know exactly what is on my computer. If I installed different things all the time or surfed a lot of different sites, I might do things differently though.

Sul.

7. Bob2000

I've come to the same conclusion. (I think that the Mac OS has Little Snitch but I can't find anything for Windows.)

All I want to do is stop trusted applications from dialling home if I have an internet connection!

8. Bob2000

I've tried iSafer, DC Firewall, Zone Alarm Pro, Online Armor free, Outpost free, Rising Personal FW and Kerio Personal 2.1.5.

For my needs, I'm opting for Kerio Personal 2.1.5.

Does anyone have a link to the instruction manual for this program please?

9. Bob2000

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Hi Bob,

As far as I know or remember, there is no "official" manual for Kerio 2.1.5. The best education you can get on it is probably to visit the old Kerio 2.1.5 support forum at dslr here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/kerio

Pay particular attention to the rule sets and commentary by BZ (Blitzenzeus) as he was pretty much the resident Kerio 2 expert for years... see the 1st thread there where he posts his rule sets etc...

Learning Kerio 2.1.5 and rules is pretty much a self-taught thing, combined with the forum above, and perhaps some posts here at Wilders, that's about the best you can do.

Good luck, you can do it, just takes a little work... :)

11. Bob2000

Terrific link. Thanks very much.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Anytime Bob, glad to be of some help.....

13. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Unfortunately, Kerio 2.15 doesn't work in Vista so that's not much good for the OP. If you care about blocking outgoing connections, you may as well scrap the Windows firewall and use something like Comodo.

14. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Vista firewall control is sufficient for your needs. It offers simple network control and only uses around 3mb on my system and its FREE!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.