Blocking Messenger Ads

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zarzenz, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Is there an easy way... maybe a registry tweak... to stop the ads from displaying in MSN Messenger.

I tried a program once that could do this... I think it was called Messenger Plus... but uninstalled it as there was some possible malware controversy involved... can't quite remember what the detail was now.

Anyway... now I'm thinking can this be done manually... or is there some other safe and free application that may be able to do the trick.

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Here is one way to do it. I don't have messenger installed so I have not tried this. Let us know if it works

Tip: Getting rid of ads in MSN messenger

Find its default folder (search for Messenger). Open LINKS.TXT and clear its contents. When finished, save the file and pull up its properties from the Windows Explorer. Place a checkmark in the "Read-only" field.

3. zarzenz

Ok Capp,

Tried that but on opening the messenger folder there is no such file in there.

I'm using version 6.2 (0205) which is very current... just a week or so since download... so maybe they have taken that path away already.

Something is very different about the ads in this version. That's what made me think about this again. There is now a very brief period of time when after opening messenger, the mouse pointer converts to the hourglass, whilst the ads are then loaded. Then the mouse reverts to normal. All takes place in milliseconds, but I still don't like it. That's what made me wanna try and get rid of these. It never seemed to happen on the version before this one.

4. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I do apologize if I am not of much help. As I stated earlier, I do not use messenger nor have it installed. I am just going by what I had learned awhile ago. Have you tried doing a file search for the LINKS.TXT file and following the steps I posted above?

Try This:

Exit out of MSN Messenger completely.

Locate the file "links.txt" on your computer.

It should be in your C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp directory, but if you search your hard drive for "links.txt" it should be the only file to appear.

Open the file in Notepad.

Highlight and erase the entire contents of the file. The file should contain links.

Save the file.

Right-click the file and choose Properties.

Check the "Read-Only" box so MSN Messenger will be unable to write new links to the file.

Now when you open MSN Messenger, there will be one basic MSN logo in the buddy list instead of rotating logos.

This basic logo is stored on your computer, in the messenger program folder, as logo.gif. You can rename logo.gif to logobak.gif (or delete it altogether) and the normal ad space will appear blank.

You can change logo.gif into whatever picture you choose.

Need some suggestions? Perhaps a picture of a monkey smelling its butt, or maybe a little picture of your favorite feline companion. If you're feeling practical, you can create a little note reminding you to get back to work. The choice is yours.

So there's no need to stare at those ads anymore. Go forth and chat ad-free!

Shown Here

5. zarzenz

Thanks Capp,

I appreciate your trying to help.

I ran a search and haven't got any file called links.txt. One point here... I'm running WINME so there may be a difference from XP... not sure.

Anyway... it's not a massive problem as such, but it sure would be nice to get rid of these ads again, but without using any complex apps to do it.

6. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Ohh....sorry, I was giving you tips for an NT based system (NT,2000,XP).

As far as I know, the best way to get rid of ads with MS Messenger, is to disable it all together ;)

Of course, you could always use a good pop-up or Ad blocker.

7. zarzenz

Well the thing is I only use it for one contact, so I'm not needing to be concerned about it too much. I can probably live with the ads coz once a contact is made then the main chat window takes over anyway.

I'll see what I can find later regarding software that can disable the ads. I know it can be done coz that messenger plus worked fine. Wish I could remember why I ditched it now... maybe I'll do a little search of the threads here later... I know it was discussed on here a while back.

Thanks for your help. :)

8. zarzenz

Wow... I did it.

I used a hex editor to change a couple of values within the messenger.exe program itself... no registry tweaks needed... and now I have a completely ad free messenger contact list and as an extra bonus I don't even have the ad position there at all... it's all gone and looks so much cleaner.

Just needed a bit of help from Google and a hex editor. I didn't even know it was possible to get inside programs like that... very excellent result.

As I'm not even sure of the legal issues here, I'm not gonna reveal any details... a moderator will have to advise if doing this kinda editing inside programs is within the guidelines here. I really don't know so I'll not take any chances... all I know is it works and it feels good for me.

9. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Although I don't use MSN Messemger, it can also be done with IEClean:
    www.nsclean.com

Copy from the IEClean Help-file:

Selecting this option will remove the banner ads (and tracking) from the screens in Microsoft's MSN Messenger. If unchecked, the advertising reappears.

IEClean is Copyright 1996-2001 by Privacy Software Corporation

10. zarzenz

Thanks FanJ for the info. I had a look there. A while ago I did consider trying IEClean, but I don't think it allowed a trial. Not sure if this still applies, but I thought it not worth doing then as I always like to try software first.

Anyway... my hex edit fix is working perfectly so no need for any other app now. It turned out to be so easy when I got the correct hex address to edit.

Also found no problems with my contact last night... all still worked as normal.

11. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Zarzenz,

You're welcome :)

As with all the not-free programs from PSC, there is no trial-version but they have a very good money-back garantee.

I'm glad all is fine !!! :)

Cheers, Jan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.