Blocking ActiveX/Java.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by qwerty12345, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qwerty12345

qwerty12345 Registered Member

Hello.

As I'm sure many of you already know, Online Armor has, for years, provided a "Web Shield", which "filters dangerous content from web pages".

The main examples of this are ActiveX and Java, and the best thing about it, is that the items are blocked inline, within the page and any individual object can be loaded, simply by clicking on it.

Unfortunately, if you upgrade to the latest version (5), this functionality is lost, so does anyone know of another (ideally, small) piece of software which will do this?

Thank you, in advance.

2. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

Firefox with Noscript addon.

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

NoScript won't block ActiveX. ActiveX is an IE thing. ;)

Regarding the ActiveX, the newest Internet Explorer 9 has a new feature that allows to block all ActiveX and enable them on a per-site basis.

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i think vipre antivirus has this feature

6. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

Knew that. I was just too lazy to write that :D

firefox with noscript = no activex, selective javascript/java/flash blocking

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

also spywareblaster has that feature

8. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

Update your java and remove you older version. Adobe flash as well. You can use Sandboxie with no-script and privoxy to help block adds.

9. qwerty12345

Really? I'm not sure that it does.

I'm sorry, I didn't explain it clearly for people who haven't used OA. I'm looking for a program to block all ActiveX and Java.

m00nbl00d, HAN - That's interesting, thank you. I hadn't read that. Is it as good as Online Armor?

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

This can be done manually through IE in configurations, though I'm not sure if it's highly configurable :)

11. qwerty12345

The IE9 functionality looks interesting (if not as easy and flexible as OA), unfortunately, buying a brand new computer to run it, is probably a step too far.

I thought that it was a handy tool, I didn't know that it was completely unique. I'm surprised Emsisoft aren't spinning it off into a small freebie tool or something, and that no-one else has created their own. It's a completely missing software niche "Object blockers", although now shrinking, of course, with the adoption of Win7/IE9.

12. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Here's a nice little free light App that i used to use when IE6 was my browser of choice. Not sure if it works with later versions, but you can try it & see. Let us know if it does, i think it might.

qsiz.exe = QuickSet Internet Zone Application from TeraByte

Lots of other Free tools on there too :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.