Blocking a Multicast Network Device ? 239.255.255.250 / 224.0.0.251

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by wsfa2502, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wsfa2502

wsfa2502 Registered Member

hi people...

ive got that media receiver here which works over multicast. and i wanna fully block it so that my pc isnt able to communicate with it and vice versa. i mean, i dont need the device when its about my pc and not tv. im speaking about these addresses :

239.255.255.250 multicast upnp

224.0.0.251 multicast dns

its the thing which receives data from the internet for the TV also called IPTV i believe.
    it has a local network address ofc...

basically i just wanna know how can i completly block it ? its weird cause ive blocked the local ip address in the firewall and still it seems like theres a connection to it.

im on linux mint 15 if that is important.

im fiddling around with all this stuff for a long time by now without " real " success.
    but i came to the conclusion that the problem is IP6 and Multicast related. pretty sure about that.

but as u can imagine, im no network expert so its kinda hard to figure it all out. and ive got no help at all. i mean im reaching a point where i dont see any wood cause of to many trees.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.