Block Removable Media and Mapped Network Drives

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by MasterTB, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

I found out that Mapped Network Drives are not listed on the Block Removable media list of ESS... does this mean that they are not included to be blocked??

I have made a screen but you can't really see the whole list (because the config. window of ESS is size fixed) but trust me it is not there... you will see that I have allowed my DVD drive (E:) and nothing else, then I mapped a Z: drive on my vista machine (which is on my other PC and set to connect always after logon) and the drive was not listed as a removable media to be blocked.

I know network drives are scanned upon acces so Is this a bug or an intentional thing?

Attached Files:

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Networks drives are not removable media.

3. MasterTB

Not even if the mapped drive is a CD/DVD drive and you only map it once and you disconnect it after log out?

So.. that means there is no way to block someone to map a drive and execute something form the network.. I know network drives are scanned by the antivirus but it would be nice if mapped drives (which is not exactly the same as going thru the network resourses and finding something) could be blocked like removable media, that way the administrator would not have to worry about someone bringing something over from an unguarded machine on the net, like say a notebook.

4. Marcos

The OS most likely don't recognize removable drives on network shares as removable and treats them as standard network shares. Remember that any application merely utilizes the functions the OS provides and supports.

5. MasterTB

Thanks Marcos.

Still is it possible to recognize and differentiate mapped drives from real drives and removable media and treat them differently so that they can be blocked or allowed via ESS? I mean as a feature?

6. Marcos

I'm not a programmer, but I doubt that the operating system can distiguish between hard drives and removable media when accessed via network shares.

7. MasterTB

Yes, what I mean is to distinguish mapped drives in my system and treat them as removable media (no matter what is being mapped).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.