Block Ping & NetBIOS

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by TripShock, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TripShock

TripShock Registered Member

I have scoured this forum for it, but no thread seems to explain exactly how to set up rules so that Ping and NetBIOS are effectively blocked.
    Could someone please post a step-by-step method to completely stop my computer from responding to ping and netbios name requests? I don't want my computer to be pingable nor should anyone be able to find my computer name remotely.
    The weird thing is that there is already a system rule (grayed out) in my rules list that blocks NetBIOS name requests and a rule that prompts the user for every ICMP echo request. But my computer still responds to pings and netbios.

Config:
    Windows Vista Ultimate x64
    ESS 3.0.650.0 x64
    Interactive Mode
    Connecting directly to the Internet

System Rules.jpg

2. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Hi, when you say your machine responds to Pings, are you connecting to the web via a home modem/router?? if that is the case, then is not ESS who is responding but your router.
    I know because I'm behind a Huawei Wireles Modem and when I set my machines IP to use the default DMZ It stops responding pings because ESS takes over since there is no firewall there on the router, but If I let the router Assign a random IP to my machine then I see those nasty pings again, still it is the router responding and not my PC because I see my Public IP responding and not the private IP which is well under ESS and the Router.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.