Block appears open - Private Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by RML11, Mar 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RML11

RML11 Registered Member

Greetings. I have begun using Private Firewall and like its presentation a lot. I used the Block traffic button, but I am still able to access the internet. ? Traffic continues. Any assistance appreciated.

2. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Are you running avast alongside.?

3. RML11

RML11 Registered Member

Thanks for reply. Yes, I have avast going.

4. RML11

RML11 Registered Member

Only the free antivirus, not with Avast firewall. I'd like to have the Block all traffic on Private Firewall work. Appreciate pointers to what to do if Avast the problem, which is probably the case. Thanks.

5. RML11

RML11 Registered Member

Looking at the advanced application settings in PF.

6. The Red Moon

Im not too sure if PFW is affected by the avast web shield or not.Comodo and the windows firewall were having problems with the transparent proxy which webshield uses.
    Im running windows firewall myself with avast but im not too concerned about it because i do not have anything on my computer that i need to block so the issue is mute with me.
    Not sure if this helps.:cool:

7. The Red Moon

Have you managed to stealth the ports with privatefirewall.?

8. RML11

RML11 Registered Member

1.It's probably not essential I block but when I retire at night I sometimes leave pc on. I like to block all for added security then.

2. Could you explain 'stealthing the port' process a bit thanks, just generally. I know some of what is meant but still a bit unclear with antivirus programs and firewalls.

Thank you.

9. itman

itman Registered Member

Stealth in this context means if someone trys to port fingerprint your PC, they will see no available ports.

If you use a router, what the attacker is seeing is your router available port status not your PC ports. Additionally what the attacker is seeing is the WAN side of the router, not the LAN side that directly interfaces with you PC network connection. If your router is stealth to the outside world, there really isn't any need to test your PC stealth status.

10. The Red Moon

Thanks for that itman.I use a mobile broadband usb dongle to connect to the network so how would you class this..as a form of router.?

11. itman

itman Registered Member

I assume we talking about a notebook?

I beleive most mobile broadband usb dongles are nothing more than the wireless broadband version of the old wired modems. As such you do not have any of the features a stand alone ethernet connected wireless router would have; NAT, statefull inspection, firewall, etc. Therefore, your software firewall becomes your first line of defense.

12. The Red Moon

Okay thanks.
    How does the windows firewall fare as a first line of defense or should i stick with the comodo firewall im using at the moment..?

13. itman

itman Registered Member

The WIN 7/8 firewall is great for basic features. However, it lacks things, like an intrusion prevention system(IPS) to stop targeted flood attacks, etc. BTW - I believe Comodo also dropped this in its later releases. Also, there is no web protection with the WIN 7/8 firewall which I assume you are aware of.

Online Armor for a free firewall would be a good choice. Or Outpost paid if you can pony up the bucks.

BTW - NAV includes an IPS although it's only an anti-malware solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.