Block all icmp--can't view yahoo mail?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by BrainWarp, Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

Using the Enhanced Ruleset i can go to yahoo and bring my account up ,but with icmp blocked it won't let me read my mail.

Can someone help with this or just explain why.

thx

2. BrainWarp

Does frederic come here to this forum that aften?

3. White Window

White Window Guest

Hi,

If you want to get in touch with frederic,please try this linkbelow,he usually gets back much faster than a post,good luck

LnSSupport@soft4ever.com

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Some people are reporting this issue since one week about ICMP packets blocked preventing the email client connecting to the server.
    I absolutely don't know why this occurs suddenly.

I don't have any explanation on this behavior. If some ICMP packets are required just allow them. I don't think there is a major security risk behind.
    If you know the IP address to which the packets are required, you can refine the rule by adding this IP address.

Regards,

Frederic

5. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

I just recently registered up with Yahoo, and using free service that offers E-mail checking via browsers only, and I don’t allow any ICMPs for any codes (0-255) and types (0-255) In or Out with the software firewall I use, but if you using E-mail client you must be paid customer? What E-mail client you using? It is possible the E-mail client is sending scan packets via ICMP to ensure server exists at minimum.

In addition, using E-mail client for Yahoo E-mail checking, does it use Auth connection via port 113tcp? If denied, it could also delay you and even prevent you from making a successful connection to e-mail server.

6. BrainWarp

I'm not using an e-mail client.I just check my yahoo mail from there website[using my browser] .Have tried ie and firefox browsers

I'm still using the enhanced and block all icmp ---Stops all ICMP types not allowed by other rules.
    For example, ICMP nuke makes your computer
    disconnect from IRC (Internet Relay Chat).

I just tried to check yahoo mail again with icmp blocked useing ie browser.I can bring my account up ,but when i click on my in box to read my emails after about 2 min it will come up with page can't be displayed.

My e-mails will come up right after enabling icmp.

7. Lowryder

Lowryder Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.