Bloatware in Linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by vasa1, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I've already removed all traces of Evolution and Banshee, but LibreOffice is essential. Can't seem to find any good alternative suite not based on OpenOffice, which is also bloated.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

KDE is not an application, it's a whole set of. Besides, the linear comparison of bloatware from win to lin is meaningless. So what if a program comes with a lot of features. Are they all loaded into memory? If no, then no bloat.
    Mrk

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

If you don't need all the icons/buttons present in the toolbars, you can (reversibly) delete the ones you don't want; the space occupied by the toolbars will shrink (horizontally). If, you've deleted enough, you can even save one row, by having more toolbars per row and gain vertical space.

But the LibO guys should do their best to bring down the size because a few distros are opting out of having an office suite included on the CD. I think PCLinux is one such distro that has dropped LibO.

5. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Try SoftMaker Office. It's actually better than OpenOffice and not bloated at all. You can get the 2008 version free, which will do as long as you don't need to open the MS 2007 type of files, like .docx. This is only supported starting with the 2010 version, which costs money. You can download it here.

6. tlu

tlu Guest

7. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

I fully agree with Mrk here, also there is a lighter version of KDE being developed for next release of Kubuntu.

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

In the sentence before that, IIRC, he claimed to have problems with Chrome as well o_O

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Here's a "software consultant" with 'phone number included (!!!) who also thinks that Fx 7 is slow! Though by the end of the thread (not shown) he seems to calm down a bit:

Attached Files:

10. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

The problem is that the average user desires bloatware and they want the bloatware sitting in memory (totally mad I know). Hence the reason some distros are Windowsfied. It is what Joe Public desires I reckon. Its kind of trying to convert Windows users to Linux by hiding the true power of Linux from them so they miss the point. lol

For the average Linux user, who is constantly yearning to be less of a novice (that covers the majority of users I think), it isn't a problem as we can pick and choose what is installed and how everything interacts with the hardware. I just hope to one day reach a level where I have advanced from Linux Novice to Linux Junior Cadet and that the journey continues to be enjoyable and rewarding...

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Forgot about its Linux version, but it's out-dated. I do view some .docx files.

12. cozumel

Do you use it? Does it keep the formatting say for documents that use checkboxes and other fancy formatting or macros? I've only ever found office suites that are at best 97/98% reliable when opening these documents and then I have to go through the whole document to reformat :'( A right pain in the posterior...

13. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

AbiWord opens and can save in .docx. For spreadsheet you can use gnumeric, though I've never had a need for spreadsheet (but my wife does). Both are small downloads.

Later...

14. Johnny123

I have the 2010 version and it works really well, although I have never tried it on documents with a lot of macros. It does very well on retaining the format. Having used both I can confirm that it's miles better than OpenOffice. Here's a review that compares the two.

15. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Nothing for presentations? I could use Google Docs or something similar, but I'm not always online.

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I tried getting help for Gnumeric once. It wasn't easy. Maybe I didn't look in the right places or ask in the proper tone.

IMO, Gnumeric is quite limited (unless you know how to write your own sub-programs/macros/whatever) when compared to Calc.

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Fancy formatting is just that, a way to convince people that a particular software in important for communication. Macros had their age in the sun as spreaders of not-so-good things. I would politely refuse to accept a document which relies on macros.

18. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Gnumeric will open xls file, but not xlsx, which is alright since MS Office 2010 will still open xls.

Our household uses LibreOffice 3.4. I am quite impressed with it. My wife attended a conference down in Charleston, SC just last weekend. She was concerned about using LibreOffice before she left (she wanted me to load Win 7 so she could use Office) because she will be exchanging xls and xlsx files with other attendees. I told her that things will be fine using Ubuntu/LibreOffice and not to worry. And things did turn out fine. No compatibility problems with Windows users at all.

LibreOffice takes up a lot of room but still nothing near that of MS Office 2007 or 2010.

MicroSoft has an on-line office suite that does it all (docx, xls/xlsx, etc.) that you might want to look into...

http://office.live.com/

Later...

19. Johnny123

You've missed the point. Any office suite will create fancy formatting. The question is whether they will retain the format (fancy or not) or mangle it after opening and saving it again. Here's a comparison with a couple of examples. I receive documents that I have to edit or translate. Since I'm getting paid to do it, I can't afford to bork up their documents or I'll be out of business.

Macros are probably not very important for home users, but no support for them would be a deal-killer in a corporate environment.

20. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Quite probably.

My point is the interchangeability of information. Quite often, maintaining formatting is used to justify the use of proprietary software. Same for macros.

21. cozumel

The reason I was asking about fancy formatting is similar for that cited by Johnny, in that most of the work I do is funded by the government annually and all the forms, reports, etc are pre-formatted by government employees and sometimes include Macros (regardless of the security implications). I definitely would not recommend using Macros lol Far from it.

Your point about "interchangeability" is also valid and kind of links in with an earlier post when I talked about "Windowsfied"

22. Johnny123

Most definitely.

You obviously don't understand. It's a fact, whether it pleases us or not, that Microsoft Office rules the roost in corporations. If I use an alternative office suite for ideological reasons that isn't completely compatibile and trash a document that someone spent 20+ hours to create, do you really think they are going to send me any more? I have no control over what software they use, so it has nothing to do with imaginary justification for using proprietary software.

23. cozumel

Exactly. If I don't use their documents, I lose my funding, I don't get paid and then my bourgeois, capitalist, some would say fascist bully-boy way-of-life would be compromised....

24. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Interesting, myriads of OO installs in organizations handling some heavy documents, presentations, this includes NGOs, schools, colleges etc. and not a single issue of document loss due to OO, have been using OO since its inception.

25. cozumel

Really? Zero corruption? If so, that implies it is my configuration of Linux &/or OO that is causing the problem **sigh**
    I'm never going to become a Linux user who achieves Junior Cadet status at this rate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.