BleepingComputer data breach warning.

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by stapp, Jun 10, 2024.

1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

2. Grinler

Grinler Security Expert

To be clear, this was not a data breach at BleepingComputer.

We received a list of credentials for the BleepingComputer forums that were stolen from computers infected by information-stealing malware.

Instead of allowing those accounts to run the risk of being breached in the future, we proactively reset those account's passwords and notified them by email so they could secure their other possibly stolen accounts.

3. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Thanks for the update, this clears things up nicely.

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hmmmm, interesting. I hadn't been to BC in a long time, and went there a few weeks ago: my IP address had been banned! I fired up my Edge browser and used its built-in VPN to see what was going on, sure enough, I had been banned for spamming: I've never spanned anywhere in my entire life. Heck, I used to be the security moderator at the now almost defunct Computerhaven.com and was always on the lookout for spammers, I would never, ever do any spamming myself. So while still in Edge, I used one of BC's contact forms and explained the situation and asked them exactly why I was banned, never heard back from them. Guess they want to play it so ultra-safe when it comes to spamming that they are willing to make the sacrifice of banning an occasional innocent person.
    Acadia

5. Grinler

Grinler Security Expert

If you want to send me a DM here or contact the site again, I can look into it.

Not sure if you use the same username at BC, but I just checked our email, and there is nothing from anyone with your name.

As for your IP address being banned, yeah, we commonly ban IPs that are overly abusive when it comes to forum spam.

Unfortunately, it sometimes affects people, especially those who use the same VPNs the spammers use.

However, we always unblock if it affects other people though, so feel free to reach out if you want.

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Just want everyone to know that Grinler fixed things for me at BC. Thank you Grinler.
    Acadia

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

:thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.