Blank home page

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by jrcotts, Oct 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrcotts

jrcotts Registered Member

Hi there, thanks for reading.

I've got a little problem...Ihope its little anyway.

My home page is blank. i know i've read about this before on these forums.

This is my home page..http://www1.us.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd maybe the site is just having difficulty..

another thing... I've installed some program that allows me to make it so nothing can change my homepage..problem is I can't either cause I can't remember how I override it or even what i used to make it that way. Apparantely I've got to many protection programs now that I'm losing track. :)

for example..I.E.Spyad.. I'm sure I'm using this or was or did or something...but i noticed in another foum, that somebody was updating this (how do you do that?I thought it was just a list of web sites?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and it was causing problems with SpyBlaster unchecking certain items or something along them lines. anyone familiar?

Can anyone help with any of these things?

Jrcotts
    Windows XP SP2 (Win NT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE Int.Explorer v6.00 SP2(6.00.2800.1106)
    Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 GHz
    2.39 GHz,256MB RAM

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi jrcotts, and welcome.

I just tried the site myself in Opera, but at the moment I am unable to load the page myself. It may be that the site is having some trouble, I'm not sure yet.

Without knowing what other security apps you have (anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc) it is more difficult to narrow down which security app you could have disabled this option with. First, could you open SpywareBlaster and check under Tools --> Misc. IE Settings, to see if you have the box beside "Disable the IE Home Page settings area in the Internet Tools Control Panel" checked? If you have that box checked, then uncheck it, close SpywareBlaster, and open IE to see if you now have access to change your Home Page.

If the above is not the case, then you may have the options to change your home page disabled using another anti-spyware program. If you have Spybot Search & Destroy, you might have disabled the option to change your Home Page under it's Immunization options.

Now, if it turns out that the option to change your Home Page was not disabled by any of your security apps, then it could have become disabled due to a spyware infection. Hopefully this is not the case, so for now lets look at the above possibilities first and rule out that it is just a setting you've enabled in one of your security apps and forgotten about. :)

To answer your question about updating IE-Spyad. Yes, it does need updating, and for myself I check about every two weeks or so to see if Eric Howes has updated IE-Spyad. You can find more information on the updating procedures on his site: http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm

If you should need further help with uninstalling the old IE-Spyad database and installing the new one, could you please open a new topic in our Privacy Software Forum since IE-Spyad is not a Javacool program. :)

Here is also another thread explaining a bit more about what happens when uninstalling and reinstalling IE-Spyad and how it can affect SpywareBlaster with un-checking some items in SpywareBlaster's "Restricted Sites" database:
    IE-Spyad updates affect SWB.

I hope the above helps a bit, but if you could check the settings of your different security apps and get back to us, we'll better be able to figure out which program has disabled IE's Home Page option.

Regards,

snap

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  3. snapdragin

I just checked this page out again, http://www1.us.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd using IE6-sp1 with everything in my IE Security Settings for the Internet Zone set to disable (as I usually have it) :D and I also have all protection enabled in SpywareBlaster, so getting to the site isn't being blocked by SpywareBlaster.

The page prompts for the following:
    prompts for dell.com (cookies)
    prompts for scripts to run (javascript)
    prompts for ActiveX controls and plugins

I refused all of the above just to see if it would still load for me, and what happens is I get an option to click on a re-direct which leads me to another page that loads fine without all the above:
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~bandwidth=NA

But to get to this page http://www1.us.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd without being redirected, you'll have to accept the "Do you want to allow scripts to run?" (javascript), which allow that drop-down banner on their page to load. In IE's security settings in the Internet Zone (the globe) you can set both the "Download signed ActiveX controls" and the 3 settings under "Scripting" to Prompt, if you wish, which will mean you are prompted each time you go to that site. Or you can add the site to IE's Trusted Site zone, which has lower security settings. I'm not sure what other features/options would not be available on their page if you chose to refuse Scripting and ActiveX.

Regards,

snap

4. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

i just clicked onto his homepage link and i had no problems getting it to come up. maybe its working now if it was down. just thought id let you know. dont know if it helps or not, probably not. hes probably got something else wrong and i dont have a clue, so for what its worth, just trying to help.

5. jrcotts

jrcotts Registered Member

Yes i wable to acess this site later that day no problem.

Ad-aware 6.0

SpywareBlaster

SpywareGaurd

Spybot S&D

SpywareGaurd

AVG 6.0

Process Gaurd

TDS-3

IE-SPYAD

IE hosts file

Yes this was it.

thank you I will check this out

thank you for this as well and for all that you have done here
    my sincere thanks.

jrcott

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2004
  6. snapdragin

Hi jrcott,

You're very welcome, and glad to hear that you've been able to get to the site and also re-set your home page. :D

Regards,

snap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.