Blackspears Setting and NOD V3.0

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Albinoni, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I had the feeling it would be like this when I purchased my license in 2005....Good for users all around ;).

Oh, BTW Blackspear's settings may still work, but since NOD32 v3 will have a new interface, you may have a slight bit of trouble finding the options. ;)

Most, if not all, of the current settings (of v2.5) will be there in v3. :)

2. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Sorry, but I fully disagree with that. Just take a look at all the unchecked boxes by default. It's a lot of users who won't know what to configure, but I surely don't like the default settings and I think it's great, that version 3 will do something about that. I don't think Nod32 is the right AV product for unexperienced users. Nod32 is a great product, but surely needs proper configuration to obtain the full use of it!

;) Putin

3. SSK

SSK Registered Member

There are only two settings unchecked, and they are the "Potentially dangerous applications" setting on all resident scanners and "email files" on in depth scan :)

When somebody runs the indepth scan once, all settings are maxed out for that scan and stay maxed out (only email files are not scanned).

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Have a look through the Tutorial, there are dozens of unticked items, and when you run a scan (Control Centre> Nod32> Run Nod32) you will find another 1/2 dozen unticked by default, as well you will also find "Quarantine" unticked in every single module...

Cheers :D

5. BJStone

BJStone Registered Member

Yes, exactly, that's right ! Yesterday evening I went to a client of mine who had installed NOD on a new machine, he just got home with it. He rang me to help him setting up NOD and sure enough there were lots of unckecked items after the install and a reboot of the system. I had to go in there and adjust the whole bunch.

6. Blackspear

Can't agree with you more, the average user does NOT want to be panicked with questions they can not answer when their antivirus finds something. They want it as automated and safe as possible, to simply work and NOT to bother them. To put it another way, I do NOT need to know how my ABS brakes work, by allowing the wheel to continue moving in order to maintain tyre grip, I do NOT want my car to ask me would I like to apply my ABS or should it just apply braking without ABS, I simply want to press the brake peddle and the car to come to a stop.

I will continue to shout this from the roof tops until I am clearly heard: Average User, Average User, Average User, Average User... ;) :D

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  7. SSK

SSK Registered Member

OK, OK, what I meant: scanning options are allmost maxed out right out of the box. :cool:

Secundary options like delete on detection and quarantine or ask on detection are a different matter :)

BTW: I wasn't critisizing your setup guide! I wanted to react on the statements that the default setup is not very good. I beg to differ about that :D

8. Blackspear

Almost, good choice of wording, there are 6 very important items unticked in this screen shot.

Agreed to a degree, see my previous post about expectations of the “AVERAGE USER”.

I know you weren’t, I can handle criticism even if you were.

Here we will have to agree to disagree, I will refer you back to “My AVERAGE USER”.

9. SSK

SSK Registered Member

ROFL :D

(I'm against automatic removal, how beneficial it may be to the customers. Seen the damage a removed file can do to a system, and don't like to encounter that again :) )

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Just me but I cleanup computers on the side. I charge 1/5 to 1/4 what others around here do. By the time I see most computers they're so messed up it'll take 10hrs to fix everything software wise & install multiple layers of security. Like SWB, SSD etc. I tell them what it'll cost & they either want me to "do the best I can in 2hrs". Which is like serving up raw pork. Say they'll use it till it totally fails or buy a new cheapo $400-$500 computer. And to Blackspear your äverage user" is a LOT smarter than mine.o_O

11. Blackspear

ROFLMAO :D

12. nonmirecordo

nonmirecordo Registered Member

I think the original(?) throbbing heart-like 'thing' was even better :D

13. Benvan45

So.....to make a long story short; the default settings are not enough to be using Nod32 fully. And as far as 'the average user' is concerned, Nod32 should also be protecting full scale if bought by an 'average user' who does not understand all the configuration options and also has not heard of Wilders Security Forums in order to get the hang of configuring Nod32.

So many users of Nod32 here seem to forget that. If John Doe buys an antivirus scanner and installs the bugger, he expects this product to do what it is supposed to do and does not expect the need for all kinds of configurations. There are many scanners out there that have a standard configuration and most people accept that. If someone buys Nod32, because he wants top notch security, he'll probably know that it needs finetuning. But the 'average user' who buys Nod32, because a friendly neighbour has read that this is one of the best scanners......does not know about the need for proper finetuning! Eset does not say anything about the Wilders forum, before installing Nod32!!!!!
    Therefore I am happy to read about the intention of Eset, to do something about with version 3.0. It's a great plan to make two versions.....a simple one for the 'average' user and the option for deeper configuration when used by the users who want the full thing!!!

;) Putin

14. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Few comments I had in the refund policy thread.

My two ideas would help Eset out a fair bit in the short run until 3.0 hits the streets. Takes 30 mins of coding to modify the install routines for the "super secure option". Might not be a bad idea to implement if 3.0 isn't going to see the light of day for a while.

15. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

I fail to see all those unchecked boxes (I run default settings). If you are talking about on demand scan (local) then you are right. But what’s “in-depth analysis” for?

Maybe I am blind?

tD

16. _Rupert_

_Rupert_ Registered Member

I couldn't agree any more.
    NOD32 is blisteringly fast even with everything enabled like in BlackSpear's settings.

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Realtime modules are set just fine by default. But i must agree that On-Demand is pretty much completely wrong. Right-click explorer extension scan should use EXTREME settings, this means it should scan in the most thorough mode possible by the AV. What's the purpose of this feature if it's using just few pretty much unimportant features? On-Demand settings are also weird, especially "In-DepthScan" terminollogy appears to be different than mine (i thought it uses same EXTREME settings as explorer extension but it has loads of settings diabled...->weird and unlogical) Regular on-demand should be pretty much the same except with disabled archive scanning and/or SFX packages.
    Not using AH for on-demand is just plain stupid.

I use it this way (with my own settings) like this and it provides best and most optimal settings.

18. Benvan45

When using a scanner in 'default' mode, no matter if it is 'on demand' or 'realtime', it should be configured to give full security, as that's the reason for using such scanner. I just can't agree on having to use 'in-depth analysis' in order to obtain the real 'full' security!!!!!
    Glad you are agreeing, that 'on demand' is lacking proper configuration in the default mode.

And I'll keep on stating, that a product like Nod32 should standard be configured in a far more secure way!
    For example, how many folks would know what the heck 'Advanced Heuristics' mean? Therefore it's box should be checked by default and there are more boxes like this, that should be checked standard. Makes Nod32 far more friendly for more users....and let's face it.....Eset needs the coins as well!!!!

;) Putin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.