Blackspear's Scheduled Install Settings Not Working for me on Vista

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Hangetsu, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

I have a clean install of Vista Home Professional that I've put NOD32 on. It installed fine, and took all of Blackspear's settings without issue. However, when I try to run the scan, I do not get a scan window to appear (even though nod32.exe is running when I look at task manager.

So, my first issue: I can't get an actual scan window to come up.

More concerning is that after a period of time, nod32.exe stops using processor cycles and just "hangs" there. The scanner log shows the scan and is in "Waiting" mode. This does not change no matter how long I leave this.

My second issue: Scans are not completing.

I have UAC on for vista, and I have two drives (C and D), so I'm using the /local switch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Hangetsu

OK, I think I found that the reason (no solution) for why I don't see the scan appear in Vista (its a bug).

However, the scan not completing (and sitting as "Waiting") is the bigger concern.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Just from the second post I understood you mean the scheduled scans

Have you tried reinstalling? What happens if you temporary disable UAC ?

4. Hangetsu

Well, this was a clean install (with a fresh copy downloaded from ESET). What I decided to do was to schedule a silent scan which expects no user input. Keeping my fingers crossed!

- Update - Using the On-Demand Scanner setup (rather than the "use external application" setup) for a scheduled scan, everything is working.

Now the question is -- Should I be concerned that I can't get the regular scan working?

Here is what's in that Scanner Log line item with a status of waiting:
    Scan performed at: 8/25/2007 16:08:58 PM

That's it, but it left nod32.exe running.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

With Vista and setting up an external scan you have to add this to following work directory on set up or it wont work.

C:\Program Files\ESET

Look at the bottom of this post by Blackspears at the set up box and you will see what I am talking about.
    here

6. Hangetsu

I did have that, and the scan starts (i.e. nod32.exe starts running). The problem is that it finishes (I think) but doesn't shut nod32.exe down afterwards, nor is it finishing the status in the scanner log (left as "Waiting").

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I see it to now, it must be a bug. It only goes away on a reboot.

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Did you use the /quit+ parameter so that the scanner window closes automatically if no threat is found?

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Marcos I added it and all I get are ? ? ? marks in the scan logs.

10. Hangetsu

Actually, no - I used the more than one hard drive scan on page 4 of Blackspear's settings. So its probably waiting for someone to shut down the nod32 on-demand scan process, but because I can't see the window due to the way Vista security works... I get a hanging process (or at least a process I can't kill from within the app. Nice detective work on that!

I'll give that a try, thank you!

Update: Worked like a charm, thanks again!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

so is this another vista issue or Nod. Waitng on some help please. I did as Marcos suggested.

12. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Please post a few screenshots of both the scheduled scan setup and the error you are seeing.

Cheers :D

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Screenshots of what? The "quit+ I added to the external scan that Marcos said. I added it at the end of the command line, then went back and added it to where it would be based on alphabetical order. Or the o_O marks in the scanner logs. No offense but I have moved on for now, but I dont mislead and what I say you can take to heart. Trying F Secure but will return to Eset as time goes by because, well because, I want it to work. cheers my friend.

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

and in all fairness, the issue may be on my end. But this is a new PC and the question marks were real.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.