BlackICE PC Protection 3.6 vs. RealSecure Desktop Protector 7.0

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by lee_redhead, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lee_redhead

lee_redhead Registered Member

I am currently using RealSecure which is rpovided as an option by my ISP along with a AntiVirus package for a monthly fee. I don't use the AV package as I use NOD32 which I find far better but really like the firewall package.

I am just wondering if there are any major differences that anybody knows of between the two, I know that RealSecure is a managed solution but for the cost of BlackICE it works out almost 1/3 of the cost.

I have looked on the net and they seem to be similar so I am thinking about cancelling my subscription and just buying BlackICE.

Lee

2. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Prior to purchasing BlackIce, do think about this: I was a long time BlackIce user until one month ago. It has some FP problems. BlackIce has lately flagged this Forum as html overflow and shut down my internet connectivity after detection. I d/l patch from microsoft as per blackice's instruction , nothing has changed. I have outpost fw and it has not detected anything at all. Mystry indeed.

3. lee_redhead

lee_redhead Registered Member

See when I first came ot this forum the little logo on my task bar for RealSecure started flashing red and I had a couple of warnings. This has now gone, although I think that the patch that was release fixed this but I do not know as RealSecure is managed so I assume they have patched it.

What I do like is it seems to be very thorough in scans, for instance I have SkyByBroadband on my PC which uses file sharing and I get a few errors when the file sharing tries to start, it is also quite good at restricting programs that have changed or have new DLL files added to the program.

I am still undecided as to what program to use, I do like RealSecure but have heard mixed reports from people about BlackICE.

I have tried ZoneAlarm (good but sometimes conflicts with SQL Server), Norton (too many pointless errors and warnings), McAfee (let a Trojan run on my system), Look'n'Stop (tried demo, program scan didn't recognise all my apps and after having to keep clicking continue for all my apps god fed up and uninstalled).

I will have a look at Outpost, it is trying to find a solution that is easy to setup and I like the look of. I have had BlackICE for 7 months and it has been great, no problems and NOD32 covers spyware, etc.

I am looking for a solution that I can install and leave alone and know that it is working silently and only bothers me when something REALLY needs my attention.

Lee

4. ink

ink Registered Member

realsecure has much definition for corporate lan, and a group policy change alreat, also has virus scan plugin and unkown virus detection. So it is better to use blackice for personal use. If you seldom install program, I recomend you to use blackice , it block every unkown part. If you like to control every program and concerned with the bad behaviro, it is better to use outpost.

5. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I have always found BlackIce to be a trouble free firewall. I run it in conjunction with a hardware firewall and have no problems. It requires no major configuration.

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: BlackIce just released new upgrade v.3.6 cpi, I gave it a new trial. It seems to me they have since fixed FP problems, and no longer flagged this forum as html overflow. I think I will keep it for a little while.:thumb: BTW, you can partner it with Visual Ice Report Utility.

7. shaunwang

shaunwang Registered Member

yes blackice can control stuff and I like its intrusion system detection, application and communication detection. either in or terminate function is a good choice.

for one main thing is that most of the component using more than 12 000KB of virtual memory quite heavy compared to kaspersky anti-hacker and LNS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.