BlackBerry Z10 review: Classy handset hampered by OS flaws

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ams963, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Read full here.;)

2. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

Thanks for posting, it's an interesting read. This is the first actual review I've seen, and it's not too bad overall. Until now, I've heard nothing but good things about the phone, and how well liked the new OS was by the people who had tested it. Time will tell if RIM's got it right though, the new OS will have some growing pains, I'm sure. Also, the other new BB with the qwerty keypad, the Q10, will have to be put through its paces as well.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  3. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

A Rule of thumb with RAM BlackBerry phones is nver buy a phone until 6 months have passed because they always release an OS for it which is half baked and has a lot of bugs which include phone randomly showing others that it is off when they call you even if the phone is on with full coverage signal reception

talking from experience from my previous Bold 9900

So glad I didn't wait for this and bought an iPhone 5 (first time iPhone user and much happier thanks to having Skype on it)

4. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

There are a lot of pros to the new operating system, especially with the one-handed gestures and being able to multitask all applications. At the moment with Android's Jelly Bean, and Apple's iOS, they have limited multitasking. You can play music and browse the web, but a youtube video for example will stop when you switch screens. Samsung has brought out a recent Jelly Bean update allowing multi-tasking of two apps on the one screen (email and web browsing for example). It works ok, but the BlackBerry's multi-tasking definitely looks to be the goods.

The new touchscreen keyboard application looks good with word predictions, however the iPhone's keyboard is already very precise, and Android paid apps like SwiftKey and several other keyboard have excellent word predictions, and can finish words by entering a couple of keystrokes. You can type a whole sentence with several key selections eg. 'hey chief, what time are you stopping by?'. Fixes mistakes even when typing several words together as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hQT-o8ch0o

Switching between personal and work modes sounds excellent, I'd like to see how effective it is over time, if there are any slowdowns, memory issues and so on.

The new z10 is packing 355ppi, whereas the latest iPhone and top-end Android phones edge over 300ppi (HTC one X, Samsung SIII). There are some products that are already being released now, such as HTC's J Butterfly which pack 440ppi on a 5 inch screen. Display is essential, so it's good to see the Z10 is strong in this area.

Camera wise, as noted in the review, could have been improved, especially since most phone manufacturers will be bringing out 12mp + cameras this year. That doesn't necessarily make for a better photo, as it comes down to the sensor size, but it would have been good for them to throw in a 12mp camera, just to keep pace with the phones being released this year (Samsung S4 rumour etc). I mean, Nokia already proved you can pack an exceptional camera into the phone, with their 41mp pureview phone.

Overall, seems to be a solid phone, display wise it's up to scratch, and the keyboard is definitely good for being stock.

Here's hoping blackberry world takes off, developers bring out apps and continually update these apps and those remaining loyal blackberry fans with their old clunkers give the company a chance and upgrade. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.