Black screen after reboot during resizing

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Rose87, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose87

Rose87 Registered Member

(Solved) Black screen after reboot during resizing

Hi. My laptop was shipped with 2 partitions: a primary C: with XP installed, and a hidden partition with Rescue & Recovery Utility which acts as a Windows XP CD, so I did not receive any CD's.

In order to not lose any data, I wanted to shrink my primary partition C: then use the resulted unallocated data to create an extended partition. I followed all the steps in the user guide for resizing a partition. After I clicked Commit to begin the resizing process DiskDirector asked me to reboot, I clicked OK, then windows rebooted but with a black screen after reboot (no windows logon screen, no cursor, nothing, just a black screen).

I thought the blank screen meant DD was in the process of resizing, but it has been blank for 2 hours now. Does DD take this long or is this a boot failure? Is it safe to force shutdown now to restart it?

Please help, I am freaking out because I did not receive any CD's so I cannot afford to lose the Rescue and Recovery Utility.

Edit: I have a Windows XP CD (OEM) from another computer, in case a CD is needed for booting.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Rose87:

Welcome to the forum. You should force a shutdown of your PC - it may even respond to Ctrl+Alt+Del. Probably nothing happened and your PC should boot back into Windows.

When you do a partition operation that affects the Windows system partition, Disk Director (DD) needs to shut down Windows and reboot into its own recovery environment, which is Linux-based. Your symptom indicates that the recovery environment does not have the proper hardware support for your laptop, which isn't surprising since DD has not been updated in a couple of years. Since that time, lots of newer hardware has been released to the marketplace.

But there is hope. When you boot back into Windows, start DD and choose the "Bootable Media Builder" application from the "Tools" menu. Make yourself a bootable CD containing both the "full" (Linux-based) and the "safe" (DOS-based) versions of Disk Director. The Bootable Media Builder app also gives you the option of creating a bootable USB flash drive if you prefer.

Then boot your laptop from the Acronis Boot CD and this time choose the "safe" version. Since it is DOS-based it should recognize your internal disk. Then try your partition changes again - they should work. Post back if you have any problems.

3. Rose87

Rose87 Registered Member

Hi k0lo, thank you for your response.

I did what you said, and it worked! THANK YOU!

Here is what I did so if there is anyone who has the same problem can find it helpful:

1) I shut down my PC using the on/off button then turned it on, I was presented with boot choices and I chose "Last good known configuration" and windows started normally (no changes were done).

2) Started Disk Director and followed k0lo's instructions above to make a bootable CD of Disk Director.

3) Booted from the CD I made and chose "Safe" version, Disk Director started and I did the partition changes and rebooted and everything worked fine.

Again, thank you k0lo for your help, much appreciated! :)

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

And thank you for posting back to let others know of your success.

5. Faust

Faust Registered Member

Would it not be a wise move to actually make a CD/DVD for your hidden partition just in case of disaster. My PC has a partition with a Windows rescue and recovery utility and I made a DVD from it and having done so tried it out to see if it worked OK - it did. I now have extra insurance in case of disaster, along with a TI full image backup, so I'm doubly blessed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.