Black Screen After Login

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Krusty, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

On my Win10 laptop I am getting a plain backlit black screen after logging in. No desktop, task bar or anything besides my mouse cursor. I restored from a recent image and all is fine until the next time I restart, then I'm back in the same situation again.

It boots into Solus Plasma fine and shows the correct sign in window in Windows, so it isn't the actual screen that's the problem.

Any ideas?

2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

3. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

If it's Hard_Configurator, as in the link you posted, then you can probably solve the problem by whitelisting the process that is being blocked. Check the Hard_Configurator log in order to identify the offending process, and then whitelist it.
    If this works to solve your issue, then store it in your brain to troubleshoot the next problem that comes up...

4. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

But see, that's the thing. I looked in the logs and couldn't see anything relevant. I only narrowed it down to BlackFog Privacy because it was the only potential program that could have been updating at the time. BF didn't uninstall cleanly either, so thankfully Hibit Uninstaller finished the job.

I've only restarted that machine once since reinstalling BF and all was good but I'm about to restart again to confirm the issue is fixed.

Edit: A second restart on that machine does seem to indicate the problem is resolved, thankfully.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  5. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

I see. Maybe it is updating before the logging process begins, and that makes it tough. Andy Ful might be able to help with that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.