Bizzare mouse/cdrom error.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Close_Hauled, Jul 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

For the longest time I had the most bizzare problem. If I unplug my PS/2 mouse and boot my system, it would reboot during the OS load. Since I did not have an error message to work with, I ignored it for a long time. I just did it again tonight, and now I have some error messages, and the system boots up to the desktop, and is usable.

First, it creates a MiniDump file:
    This Error Signature:
    The System Log in the event viewer continuously reports the following two errors.

For CdRom1:
    For CdRom0:
    When I click on the link in the event log, I get this message:
    Here are all of the processes that are running:
    IRQ list from MSInfo32:
    If I plug the mouse back in, the system works fine. The mouse is a Logitech. I was using the default Windows mouse drivers when the problem first occurred. I recently installed a Logitech MX510 USB mouse, and installed the latest drivers to take advantage of the resolution of the mouse. But even with the new drivers, the problem persisted. So I ignored it, and kept two mice on my system.

Now I don't want to ignore it anymore. I want to install an Adaptec USB 2.0 card, and I won't until I fix the mouse problem.

I've searched for answers, but I cannot find much. Maybe you guys can help.

Close Hauled

Last edited: Jul 22, 2004
  2. Close_Hauled

Bumping it before you guys let it get moldy.

3. Close_Hauled

As an experiment, I uninstalled the COM and LPT ports in the device manager. I then disable the COM and LPT ports in the BIOS. I get the following error message in the System log about 2 minutes after reaching the desktop:
    I have never seen this error before on other systems that I have worked on. I have done this a lot in the past, and never had a problem.

Could someone please try the same thing with their XP system, and see if they get the same error? It will occur about 2 to 5 minutes after boot up. So give the system some time before you check the System log.

Close Hauled

Last edited: Jul 23, 2004
  4. Close_Hauled

I am now running my system with the COM and LPT ports uninstalled and disabled. The PS/2 mouse is uninstalled and unplugged. The System log in the event viewer is overflowing with the CDROM errors above. I did find some new errors buried in between the long list of CDROM errors:

When I clicked on the link in the event log, it took me to this site:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328213&sd=ee

I put in a support call in to Microsoft.

Close Hauled

5. Close_Hauled

I got this response from Microsoft tech support today:
    Don't know if it's gonna work, but I will give it a spin!! :rolleyes:

Close Hauled

6. Close_Hauled

I did what Microsoft told me to do:

I unplugged the two CD-ROMs and booted the system in Normal Mode. There were no errors in the logs, so I rebooted in Safe Mode. When system came up, I found the following errors in the System log:
    I ran "CHKDSK /x C:" as Microsoft suggested, and shut down the machine. I unplugged the mouse from the PS/2 port and restarted it. The computer crashed immediatly after post and rebooted. Then the OS prompted me to log in in "Safe mode", "Previously Known...", etc. I told it to boot in normal. When the system came up, I checked the System logs and found this in normal mode:
    I rebooted the system and it crashed and rebooted again after post! When it came up again, I chose Safe Mode. The keyboard would not work in Safe Mode. I checked the device manager, and the keyboard was fine. Fortunately the USB mouse worked, so I rebooted again to Normal Mode. Normal Mode had the same errors as above. Finally, I swapped keyboards and rebooted in Safe Mode. The keyboard did not work again.

So there I stand in my epic error.

Close Hauled

7. Close_Hauled

I ran another battery of tests. First I started the system with no PS/2 keyboard or PS/2 mouse. The system would always reboot after post. I then started the system with just the PS/2 mouse and I got the following message in the System log:
    I am going to go ahead and reinstall the CD-ROMs.

Close Hauled

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.