Bizzare mouse/cdrom error.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Close_Hauled, Jul 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

For the longest time I had the most bizzare problem. If I unplug my PS/2 mouse and boot my system, it would reboot during the OS load. Since I did not have an error message to work with, I ignored it for a long time. I just did it again tonight, and now I have some error messages, and the system boots up to the desktop, and is usable.

First, it creates a MiniDump file:
    This Error Signature:
    The System Log in the event viewer continuously reports the following two errors.

For CdRom1:
    For CdRom0:
    When I click on the link in the event log, I get this message:
    Here are all of the processes that are running:
    IRQ list from MSInfo32:
    If I plug the mouse back in, the system works fine. The mouse is a Logitech. I was using the default Windows mouse drivers when the problem first occurred. I recently installed a Logitech MX510 USB mouse, and installed the latest drivers to take advantage of the resolution of the mouse. But even with the new drivers, the problem persisted. So I ignored it, and kept two mice on my system.

Now I don't want to ignore it anymore. I want to install an Adaptec USB 2.0 card, and I won't until I fix the mouse problem.

I've searched for answers, but I cannot find much. Maybe you guys can help.

Close Hauled

Last edited: Jul 22, 2004
  2. Close_Hauled

Bumping it before you guys let it get moldy.

3. Close_Hauled

As an experiment, I uninstalled the COM and LPT ports in the device manager. I then disable the COM and LPT ports in the BIOS. I get the following error message in the System log about 2 minutes after reaching the desktop:
    I have never seen this error before on other systems that I have worked on. I have done this a lot in the past, and never had a problem.

Could someone please try the same thing with their XP system, and see if they get the same error? It will occur about 2 to 5 minutes after boot up. So give the system some time before you check the System log.

Close Hauled

Last edited: Jul 23, 2004
  4. Close_Hauled

I am now running my system with the COM and LPT ports uninstalled and disabled. The PS/2 mouse is uninstalled and unplugged. The System log in the event viewer is overflowing with the CDROM errors above. I did find some new errors buried in between the long list of CDROM errors:

When I clicked on the link in the event log, it took me to this site:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328213&sd=ee

I put in a support call in to Microsoft.

Close Hauled

5. Close_Hauled

I got this response from Microsoft tech support today:
    Don't know if it's gonna work, but I will give it a spin!! :rolleyes:

Close Hauled

6. Close_Hauled

I did what Microsoft told me to do:

I unplugged the two CD-ROMs and booted the system in Normal Mode. There were no errors in the logs, so I rebooted in Safe Mode. When system came up, I found the following errors in the System log:
    I ran "CHKDSK /x C:" as Microsoft suggested, and shut down the machine. I unplugged the mouse from the PS/2 port and restarted it. The computer crashed immediatly after post and rebooted. Then the OS prompted me to log in in "Safe mode", "Previously Known...", etc. I told it to boot in normal. When the system came up, I checked the System logs and found this in normal mode:
    I rebooted the system and it crashed and rebooted again after post! When it came up again, I chose Safe Mode. The keyboard would not work in Safe Mode. I checked the device manager, and the keyboard was fine. Fortunately the USB mouse worked, so I rebooted again to Normal Mode. Normal Mode had the same errors as above. Finally, I swapped keyboards and rebooted in Safe Mode. The keyboard did not work again.

So there I stand in my epic error.

Close Hauled

7. Close_Hauled

I ran another battery of tests. First I started the system with no PS/2 keyboard or PS/2 mouse. The system would always reboot after post. I then started the system with just the PS/2 mouse and I got the following message in the System log:
    I am going to go ahead and reinstall the CD-ROMs.

Close Hauled

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.