BitTorrent

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by cadmus, Dec 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cadmus

cadmus Registered Member

Used this for tsunami video. How Safe? Uninstalled after download(successful) and all scans show clean.

2. ninja_style

ninja_style Registered Member

BitTorrent is very safe I have been using for a very long time and no viruses on any of the files I have downloaded, never. You have to becareful now though cause if you download any copyrighted material you could be sued! That's the biggest scare about using BitTorrent other than that everything is good :-*.

3. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Excuse me guents, I would advise you to stop talking about BitTorrent due to the fact they are probably against the forums Terms of Service.

Jimbob

4. Clowny

Clowny Registered Member

Um.. not to sound rude, but Bitorrent is used for legal uses too.

Linux Distros, moox firefox builds, legal game patches & trailers from sites like filerush.com, etc. Heck, Blizzard uses BT for it's game updater for World of Warcraft.

BT can be used for warez, but also has very legitimate purposes too.

5. Jimbob1989

I know, just keep it cleen and legal. And if guests post on the forum asking about illegal activity, do not respond.

Jimbob

6. Clowny

Clowny Registered Member

I agree with you there Jimbob.

7. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hello Cadmus,

Since your question seems to be about how clean the BitTorrent program is, you can read through this article at SpywareInfo (note the warning given there for BitTorrent):

Clean and Infected File Sharing Programs

Regards,

snap

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  8. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

As P2P programs go Bit Torrent is one of the safer ones and tends to have more legitimate files for download

However the standard warnings still apply that any P2P application can be dangerous as you do not know what you are downloading until it's done

Any application where you download direct from a users computer rather than a controlled server has a much higher risk of viruses/worms and other malware so take care

9. Jimbob1989

Oh Lord, that made me sound like a moderator.

Its not just the case of computer threats, but it is very easy to download illegal material by accident such as illegal explitic images.

Jimbob

10. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

In my country(Canada) P2P has been ruled legal for music downloads as it is no different than photocopying books at a library.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.