Biting the Apple

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HURST, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Hi

I'm planning on replacing my faithful Dell laptop, and for the first time in my life I'm considering a Mac.
    Basically I have questions about 2 topics.

First Topic - Mac OSX:

I'd like to know some opinions on the transition from XP to OSX (specially what it is like not to have a 2-button mouse). I don't care much about software compability, thanks to bootcamp and/or virtualbox.
    Also I'd like to know about the reality about mac security. I know, it's UNIX based, so it's pretty secure, but isn't the increasing market share affecting security? Are there any good security products? If they are, are they really needed? I run both XP and Linux, and had never a problem with Linux.

Second Topic - Win XP:

I should be able to get a XP OEM if I buy a computer before June, 30th. But every online store I visit only offers Vista computers. Is there a good, trustworthy, cheap online store where I can find this? Maybe if I buy over the phone it's easier. I prefer the following brands: Dell, Asus, Toshiba or Lenovo.

My budget goes up to $1,500, and the minimum specs I'm looking for are:

Intel C2D 2 GHz (if possible more)
    2GB RAM, expandable to 4
    160 GB HDD

I don't care about graphics card, since I don't game that much.

Thanks!

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Not sure where u are but here in Canada Dell still offers XP, though it's limited to only 1 or maybe 2 laptop models. :)

snowbound

3. flimbag

flimbag Registered Member

You don't need a two button mouse with a Mac -- the one button does everything that you need it to do. Also, as far as security products go, I've been using Macs since the Mac IIcx and I've never had a single security product on any of them. Never needed one.

Make the leap. You won't regret it. I've just bought my two daughters new laptops -- one wanted a Sony Vaio, the other wanted a Macbook. Both are nice, but of the two, I only really envy the Macbook -- despite having an older model Titanium Macbook Pro.

4. psaulm119

psaulm119 Registered Member

I don't know what you call "cheap," but Newegg is certainly good and trustworthy: --XP Home with SP2 for 90 bucks (and it appears to be the full install, not just upgrade). I've used Newegg a time or two myself, and others in forums I frequent like them as well.

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

A two button mouse will work with a Mac. I played around with one in a Apple store yesterday.

6. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Regarding the 2-mouse button, I mean how is the transition from a 2-button OS, to a 1-button OS... is the "right button menu" missed? Is it easy to migrate? Are actions which you do with the right button in Windows easy to find in a mac? Example, desktop properties, file properties, copy/paste, etc...

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

You hold Control then click the mouse button to get the context menu iirc.

8. dogma

dogma Registered Member

Hi Hurst

Firstly, do you intend to replace your dell notebook with a notebook or desktop?

I've just got my first MacBook, and already love it! (Read this post)

The right click function is still there, but without two physical buttons! You can enable right-click option with two finger mouse gesture on the touch pad. This is sweet. With this feature enabled I am hardly using the even the single button on my touchpad.

And I'm sure you'll initially miss certain things about XP. I personally miss some software that is not currently available on OS X.

Below is a screenshot of right-click of an Get Info (Properties) on an image file I just taken on my desktop. It illustrates the options available from the right click menu.

I can't answer your question about security, but from all the reading that I've done, before buying the Mac, suggested that it ain;t currently required. Just keep OS X and your applications up-to-date.

If you want any other pics or screenshots just let me know. Quite enjoy taking screenshots on OS X.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  9. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Thanks for the info... I'm now a step closer to the mac! BTW I want to buy a laptop.

The only thing I don't like about the mac is the lack of expansion capabilities: card reader (which I use a lot), express card or pcmcia slot (which I don't use, but maybe will some day). It only has 2 USB ports so I would NEED a hub. Also it hasn't VGA output (which I use a lot for presentations). I'm not to convinced about buying a lot of "optional" stuff...

any thoughts about this?

10. dogma

dogma Registered Member

Sounds like you need to go for the MacBook Pro

Here are video reviews for:

(1) MacBook
    (2) MacBook Pro sorry can't find the official apple tour of the macbook pro, they are pushing the macbook air atm

Oh yeh, you also get a remote with all macs!

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Well you could get a MacBook Pro, which gives you an additional usb port and an express card slot, but youd still need the card reader and an adapter for VGA.

Id carefully consider whether a MacBook or a (Windows) laptop would better suit you.

12. HURST

HURST Registered Member

MacBook Pro is just too expensive...

Yep. I'm not buying the new laptop tomorrow. Just doing my homework right now.:D

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Remote is no more free, needs 19$, not good.

14. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I think I pretty much narrowed it down to 3 laptops, all of them have:

Intel C2D 2.4 GHz Processor
    2GB RAM 667 MHz
    160 GB HDD 5400 rpm
    WiFi 802.11n
    Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
    Intel X3100 Graphics controller
    13.3" screen

1.- Apple MacBook
    $1299,00

2.- Dell XPS M1330
    $1339,00

3.- Toshiba Satellite U300
    $1315,20

Any thoughts? opinions?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  15. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

That is a really good price for the apple. The other two windows computers seem expensive for what your getting or the Intel must raise the price significantly.

Have you looked at HP laptops? They seem to offer the best bang for the buck. I bought a HP recently and it was full of features (bluetooth, wireless n, dedicated card, HDMI and way more) for $999 but it did not have Intel which usually raises the price a lot.

Toshiba has the most overpriced laptops i have ever seen and i cannot figure out why. And even worse is they put HD-DVD in a lot of their laptops but HD-DVD is dead now.

16. HURST

HURST Registered Member

If I buy the exact same Dell here in my country, it will cost $1800...now THAT is expensive :gack: The macbook (not Pro) can cost up to $2800...

Luckily someone is traveling to the states soon, so I'll be able to buy it over there...

How is the overall quality of HP? If they're cheaper, are they worth it?

17. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

The overall quality for me is very good. Even the webcam has very good quality. I think HP cuts down in the price by putting a restore partition instead of a CD.

18. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

One thing is that Apple is blowing out prices right now. I guess their new line comes out now plus lots of people will be getting income tax refunds soon. BestBuy just had a sale on new MacBooks for $799 ($350 0ff). But they were sold out online in just a short time. You may also want to consider a refurb as Apple is pretty widely known for having nice refurbs. Just check out the Apple online store. Amazon also has a bunch of deals right now too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.