Bitdefender & Windows Defender?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by The Crusader, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Crusader

The Crusader Registered Member

Hi,

I am using Bitdefender 9 Standard as my AV and Windows Defender as AntiSpyware. Recently, Bitdefender updated itself to ver.9.5 and now includes spyware monitering and cleaning by default. My question is...should i now disable windows defender...i have heard it is not wise to run two antispyware programs as they will conflict. Also does anyone know how good Bitdefender is with spyware? Any suggestions?

2. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

no the antispyware module in bitdefender just checks for the spyware in the wild

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The new version (v9.5) launched recently, has the full AntiSpyware protection technology.

4. metallicakid15

but still bd antispyware dosent compete with spyware doctor, windwos defender, spysweeper, adadare...

5. Firecat

Yes, but because BD now detects spyware, the real-time-monitor can conflict with Windows Defender, unless BD Real-Time-Monitor can be configured to not detect spyware.....

6. jbarr

jbarr Registered Member

BD Live Assistance, http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Live-Assistance.html, state that the new BD antispyware feature is intended to replace Windows Defender and they recommend uninstalling WD.

7. The Crusader

Well live assistance at bitdefender sucks, not very polite...uninstall windows defender they say! But i think i will keep it. Can anyone say how well Bitdefender is at finding spyware compared to Win/Def? I have never had any spyware so i don't know how they will react when i do get some.

8. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Is there any antivirus company that would recommend keeping third party software instead of its own?

9. Firecat

BullGuard did a while back, but I don't know if it still will :doubt:

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

The upgrade to 9.5 Pro sucks. First BD email support told me that I could easily decline the antispyware upgrade. Not true. When I decline it then BD 9.5 doesn't work right (no right click command line scan). Plus, if auto updating is on then the decline works only until the first auto update at which time BD is automatically upgraded. So much for support's saying I could easily decline the upgrade. Then support tells me to just uncheck antispyware scanning in the GUI. When I do that, BD doesn't work right. Since this forced upgrade, I have gotten two BSODs caused by different BD processes. I never had any Stop errors with 9.0. Plus, with 9.0 I could not install the email scanner and everything was fine. With 9.5, email is scanned on outgoing EVEN THOUGH I DID NOT INSTALL THE EMAIL SCANNER MODULE. So, I have uninstalled it yet again (which created a BSOD) and am about to give up on Bit Defender. 9.0 Pro was great and I had no problems but 9.5 with the antispyware stuff is too buggy. Support also told me to uninstall Spyware Blaster and Spybot. I will stop using BD before I will stop using those two applications.

I also don't like that email support is very slow. It takes a minimum of 24 hours to get a reply and then when I reply, I have to wait again a minimum of 24 hours for a reply. Plus, it takes about four replies before BD pays any attention to your problem and gets serious about it.

11. TradeMark

TradeMark Registered Member

It wont help if you complain here!! Write to them and complian so they will understand how you and others feel..!

12. french kiss

french kiss Registered Member

right clic command line scan

regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\SOFTWIN\BitDefender9\bdshelxt.dll"

I m dont speak very well inglish

demarrer/ executer on french windows

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Sorry, but email scanning is part of Virus Shield which cannot be removed separately without also removing On-Access scanning. So i don't know why are you complaining about something which is impossible (you couldn't uncheck the emails canner because there ain't any such thing, just checked it).

Unchecking Spyware detection in Virus Shield should not interfere with operations of BD9. You should check the condition of your PC first i guess...

Also if you have any complaints or good comments, send them to BD feedback mail. They always replied to me and i consider myself as very annoying person when i give feedback and stuff (i tell as it is, let it be bad or good).
    Ranting like this on forums won't solve anything coz i don't think BD staff is around here...

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I was thinking of the antispam module which you can decline at install time. I declined that. Yes, you cannot decline the email scanner being installed but you definitely can decline its being used. You just uncheck the boxes for scanning incoming and outgoing email.

It is not my computer. It is BD. Support sent me a special tool for a special uninstall intended to rip it out totally. Then I was to reinstall and see if I still get the BSODs. Sure, I had to uninstall it again. After the forced upgrade to 9.5, I get a BSOD on reboot. I also get a BSOD when I go to reboot after installing any updates for BD that require a reboot and there have been three since 9.5 was pushed to my BD. There is something wrong with 9.5. I had no problems and no BSODs with 9.0.

I have sent comments to BD both when uninstalling and there is the opportunity to explain why you are uninstalling and in numerous emails to support. I was not posting here because I thought BD patrolled these forums. I was posting in agreement with the OP. I thought that was part of what these forums are for? You seem to think only positive comments should be posted about applications?

I had to uninstall it yet again and I immediately informed support. Almost 24 hours have gone by and I have no AV and support will reply ONLY EXACTLY AT 24 HOURS AFTER MY EMAIL TO THEM IS SENT. That sucks. I don't think they are willing to admit that 9.5 is buggy. I have asked repeatedly why they will not allow me to just use 9.0. Why do they FORCE an upgrade to a buggy 9.5 from a great 9.0? They refuse to answer this question.

15. metallicakid15

maybe unistalling bd in safe mode wont cause any promblems?

16. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Bit Defender issued an update yesterday to all users based on the feedback I gave to them. There was a bug in 9.5 which was causing some computers to BSOD on reboot due to regspy.sys.

Unfortunately, while the main problem I had is now fixed, BD has told me that I MUST remove Spyware Blaster and Spybot because they cause slowdowns in surfing and hangs when used together with BD. I really like BD but I like Spyware Blaster and Spybot even more so my response has been to remove BD and I am now looking for an AV that doesn't include the kitchen sink and that doesn't conflict with the two antispyware applications that I have used since their inception and which I also use for things other than spyware scanning.

17. Ardian

Ardian Registered Member

Mele20 you can install ScanSpyware 3.8, Microsoft-AntiSpyware and many many others that you can use together with BD.

One thing i do not understand is when i installed spybot i have never used it in the background, i have just opened the program sometimes and i updated it and scaned my computer for spyware, if there were none then i just clicked exit spybot again, so it does not run together with BD!

i am using kav+bd and my other computer nod32,
    but on this computer i use spybot + scanspyware + microsoft-antispyware + xoftspy + Kaspersky together with Bitdefender for a very long time now but never got any problem with the BSOD by the way i dont even know so good what BSOD is because it has never asked me to shut down computer causing by BSOD.
    But now i know its a file from BD. But its wiread that i use so many AV and Antispyware programs and on my computer never had any problems!

18. The Crusader

I have been using Spyware Blaster & Spybot along side Bitdefender for about 8 months and i have never experienced slowdowns in surfing or anything else for that matter! They work fine together. I think Bitdefender support is telling you a load of sh**. I have asked them for help in the past and always they say to uninstall anything on my comp that isnt Bitdefender!!!

19. drkoopz

drkoopz Registered Member

I think you guys are taking this a "bit" too far. I had Windows Defender running just fine in the background with BitDefender so I believe they work together. But why use two? Honestly, save some system resources and just make Windows Defender an on-demand scan.

In an earlier review of BitDefender by PCWorld they had stated the anti-spyware module was great at keeping spyware from installing, but not so good at removing during a scan. So it makes sense to just put Windows Defender down and use it when needed. And the whole Spybot deal is dumb, i've been running Spybot since forever and i'm using BitDefender without ANY slow down...maybe they were talking about the Tea Timer? I'm not sure but I wouldn't worry about it.

20. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

The discussions are interesting as to what runs well with what. While they are also useful, no one or two experiences prove the rule. I have experienced differences in the way my system and programs performed, or did not, with others using the same applications.

I have uninstalled Norton several times with absolutely no problem. However, that is not the experience of some other folks. It does not make them incompetent or me competent. It is just the way different systems operate.

So my own view is to take all comments, and then if you can trial, and if your experience differs that is just the way it is. Either accept the problems or go to another application.

Jerry

21. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I really don't understand the conflict between BD and Spyware Blaster (I intend to go ask JavaCool next if he understands BD's concern). Spyware Blaster is unique as far as anti-spyware applications go. It sets the killbit on various ActiveX nasties that otherwise might install without permission (although more unlikely on IE7b2 that I now use than earlier versions of IE). Why does setting a killbit on an ActiveX application ...for instance... I use Spyware Blaster to set the killbit on Flash in IE and then if I really need Flash for a site I toggle the killbit off for a bit...now how in the world does letting Spyware Blaster set these killbits interfere with BD to cause slow downs and hangs when surfing?

As for Spybot, I don't use TeaTimer. I can see a possibility of a conflict if one were using TeaTimer but I am not. I use Spybot on demand for scanning for spyware and for other things such as a very easy and nice way to clean up all junk in MSCONFIG STARTUP. How can using Spybot, on demand, possibly cause slowdowns and hangs while surfing if BD is also being used?

BD found out what I was using because they finally asked me to run Belarc Advisor and send them the results. Now, those results don't indicate whether or not I use TeaTimer but just that I have Spy Bot and Spyware Blaster installed. So, in their opinion, the mere PRESENCE of these two applications on a computer is a NO-NO. I like BD a lot but this is plain nutty advice and taints their product and the rest of their advice IMO. It makes me wonder how competent they really are.

There isn't any substitute anti-spyware application that does what Spyware Blaster does and for that reason alone BD should make their application work with it. Spybot...yes there are a number of good antispyware scanners on demand besides Spybot...but none of those have all other goodies included that Spybot does. (Plus, I trust Patrick and I also trust Alex Eckelberry of Counterspy, but I don't trust any other company which makes antispyware applications). I just can't seen how the mere PRESENCE of Spybot (when TeaTimer is not being run in real time) is a problem for BD.

I explained my concerns to support in my last email and said that I would give up BD before the two anti spyware applications and explained in detail why they were both important to me and that nothing substitutes for Spyware Blaster if you use IE. I was really taken aback when I got a reply that totally ignored my concerns and simply said if I had any other problems to email them. This is after they have told me in no uncertain terms that I MUST uninstall these two applications if I want to continue to use BD. I don't care for that arrogant/stupid/somethingweird attitude. A refusal to answer my questions about this issue is a real putoff!

Well, I am off to ask the authors of the two applications if they know what the heck BD is so freaked out about.

22. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Mele20

As a longtime Spywareblaster user i found this interesting enough to do a little testing, so i disabled it and uninstalled it using Total Uninstall and to my surprise i found my system to respond quicker, this is by no means a scientific test, but it is off my pc for good, i don't really need it with my other tools anyway.

23. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Mele20, possibly spy bot immunize feature may conflict with BD.

24. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Don, that is quite interesting. I 've had Spyware Blaster since its inception...so long ago I can't remember not having it. Maybe I should try taking it off as IE7 has plenty of safeguards I suppose. I never noticed back on 98SE a slow down with Spyware Blaster and if any OS would show it you'd think 98 would.

timcan, I was just thinking it must be something to do with the immunization feature in Spybot..but that is like Spyware Blaster right? Spyware Blaster's covers much more and had always been recommended too by Spybot to be used also with Spybot...until this version of Spybot which no longer recommends also using Spyware Blaster due to "user confusion".

Whatever...I have posted in Javacool's forum and also over at Spybot forums and asked for clarification of what this conflict could be and why. Spyware Blaster is like an old shoe...I would feel rather lost without it...JavaCool even wrote a lite version long ago just because I asked...and Patrick...I admire him a lot...I think I'll put up with a bit of slow down if that is happening. I do get some hangs since I got this new computer...wonder if SP2 has anything to do with any incompatibility. I find SP2 less responsive than SP1 which I had kept until two months ago when I got this computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.