Bitdefender USB Immunizer

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sm1, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Bitdefender USB Immunizer is a free tool from Bitdefender to block autorun malware.

Information given in Website:

For years, Autorun-based malware has been atop of the worldwide e-threat landscape, with notorious representatives such as Trojan.AutorunInf, the Conficker worm (Win32.Worm.Downadup) or Worm.Autorun.VHD.

Introduced back in the Windows XP era to facilitate software installations from CD-ROM media for non-technical computer users, the Autorun feature has rapidly become the infection vector of choice for cyber-criminals.

The USB immunizer is BitDefender's response to this growing issue. This small utility is divided in two sections.

The Immunize option allows you to immunize your USB storage device or SD card against infections with autorun-based malware. Even if your storage device has been plugged into an infected computer, the piece of malware will be unable to create its autorun.inf file, thus annihilating any chance of auto-launching itself.

The Immunize Computer slider allows you to toggle the autorun feature On or Off for any removable media (except for CD/DVD-ROM devices). If you accidentally plug in an infected USB drive that has not been immunized, the computer will not auto-execute the piece of malware located on the USB storage device.

More info:

-http://www.malwarecity.com/blog/block-autorun-malware-with-bitdefender-usb-immunizer-1061.html-

Download:

-http://labs.bitdefender.com/?page_id=108-

2. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Good tool but does not load automatically with the system.

3. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

4. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

MC Shield is better,anyway thanks for the information:)

5. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I still trust my USB Disk Security. It automatically runs during system start ups and also has immunized feature like others and best of all it can detects viruses and the version updates is very active.

6. blasev

blasev Registered Member

No AutoRun :thumb:

But I'll try bitdefender, it looks good

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I've been using Panda USB Vaccine. It hasn't been updated for quite a while, but perhaps there's nothing to improve? NIS scans removable media when inserted (probably all AVs do). Is there anything else to consider here?

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

9. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Panda looks better in my 5 minute test. The BitDefender autorun.inf created by the program can be deleted in either a FAT32 flash drive or NTFS flash drive.

Panda's can't be simply deleted in FAT32 (I haven't tested NTFS). It takes a re-format to remove it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

11. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

ako here has many Tools under the category USB-firewall:

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I've actually added it under USB-autorun disabling:

13. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Can you, please, explain?
    I was NOT referring to Bitdefender USB Immunizer.
    I was referring to Other Tools, like No Autorun, which are placed under the category USB-firewall:

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  14. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

You have to manually launch it to immunize or disable autorun. There is no option for automatic immunization by launching the program at startup.

15. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Considering that this is a one-time operation, I do not see the point why this should be resident and running all the time? Disable autorun on your machine (not really that you would need this utility for it, group policy can do exactly the same), immunize the USB drives you have and that's it. The only real problem it this:

:(

16. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Disabling autorun is one-time operation. But you may not control the way others insert usb drives in a pc used by all your family members. Running auto-immunization on usb insertion would be a good idea IMO.

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The tools in USB-autorun disabling: are more related to this product.

18. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Please, at the end of each of these two (2) Categories [USB-autorun disabling: and USB-firewall:]
    create a 'See Also' Link to the other Category
    so that the reader/searcher will see all products.

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I'll consult with ako about that.

20. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Thanks! :thumb:

21. doktornotor

I do not understand how does it matter once the autorun is disabled. It just will not autorun no matter who and how inserts the stick.

22. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I am not sure...:rolleyes: So you are saying there is no sense in Panda's way of keeping Auto USB Immunization feature for pro version of PCAV...!!!:isay:

23. doktornotor

Well if you are not sure that disabling autorun disables autorun then you may as well uninstall this or any similar products. (Auto-immunization has completely different purpose - prevent the removable drive from getting infected by autorun malware, not protecting the machine itself when you insert the stick in there.)

24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Just updated with anchors.

25. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Slightly off-topic but since auto-immunization was mentioned, FYI:

I keep all my diags and cleanup apps on one of these
    -http://www.pqigroup.com/product2.asp?oid=18&catE1=18&PROID=13-
    and keep the switch in write protect unless updating on my known-clean system.

There are a few other USB stick makers that still offer product with such a switch, but I think the U339 Pro is the fastest in its class. The U339 XT (mid pack) and U339 (cheap) are great choices, too.

Once ubiquitous on the early (very early, as in the megabyte days) sticks, the write protect switch has become a specialty feature. Unless I'm completely mistaken and off-base on this, while in write protect there is no way one of these can be compromised. Admittedly, I could stand to be corrected. o_O

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.