BitDefender - uninstalled when removing another program ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Littlemutt, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

A trial of a program I have been using ran out, and decided that I did not want the program, so I uninstalled thru the Control Panel, WinXP SP2.

During the removal, I got a 1704 message from BD stating something about being inhibited, and asked if I wanted to restore.. I clicked yes, and after several minutes the program I was removing was indeed removed, along with BitDefender. What The o_O??

Anyone else seen this? I have given up on BD at the moment and went back to KAV 6.0 trial for the time being.

Trying to find a replacement for NAV is proving hard.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

have you tryed nod32 yet? or antivir?

3. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

I briefly tried nod32, but became concerned when I found that it does not have any antispy/worm detection. Perhaps this is covered by the heuristics part, but I do not know. Using EWIDO as the antispy/worm/malware, is too heavy on the CPU, even doing nothing it eats 30% of my CPU.

My 2nd concern is that nod32 will not be a stand-alone AV once 3.0 comes out, and I like my ZApro firewall, so I don't want a suite. Again, perhaps I've not read the postings/announcements right.

I've not considered any other AV for years being a loyal Norton user, but of late I am not happy with some things they have done to the program, thus I'm looking.

Thanks for you reply, I will keep looking/testing.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Where did you pick up this information? It certainly detects both types of malware.

Take a look here and here.
    Just use it as a backup scanner. If you use a good AV and firewall and a non-IE browser, spyware should not be a major problem.
    ESET, like Kaspersky, will offer both the suite and the standalone program.
    Just make sure that you uninstall all traces of Norton before testing other AV's. A good Registry Cleaner, Total Uninstall or even Erunt may be good choices for you to remove debris from your AV trials.

Replacements; take a look at some of the scanners listed over at av-comparatives.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.