Bitdefender Traffic Light - How it is now-a-days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sg09, Sep 24, 2015.

1. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Bitdefender Traffic Light old thread is closed, so couldn't ask there. How is Bitdefender Traffic Light now-a-days? Earlier it offered system wide protection, using a process, and strangely downloading all definitions of Bitdefender, and that's why I stopped using it. It seems from their website that now it offers protection through browser add-on only. Can anyone spot light on it?
    http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/trafficlight.html

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Oh.... I almost forgot about it. It has been long time since I heard of it. Is it still in active development?

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I use the browser extension, which doesn't affect the system or download full definitions. Not sure how well it works these days, but according to Google the Chrome extension was last updated half a year ago.

4. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Info from the Chrome Plugin Page.

5. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Thank God! They have terminated the idea of downloading the whole database.
    @J_L doesn't it block anything on your browser?

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Actually it was always like that unless you download the desktop installer.

It does block things, but I don't know how effectively.

7. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

@J_L Thanks :)
    The desktop installer offered website blocking system-wide, e.g. in torrent software, if I haven't forgotten. So, the free AV users were tempted to use it as an additional layer of protection. So, they doesn't offer the desktop installer now?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  8. haakon

haakon Guest

I've been using TrafficLight for a loooong time in various browsers, currently the extension in Cyberfox 64-Intel Portable in Windows 7 HP SP1 x64.

The "half a year ago" update is relevant only to browser compatibility. TrafficLight does its job in the cloud. As you surf, you'll watch the browser consistently hit nimbus.bitdefender.com.

I think they dropped the desktop version quite a while ago, tho I could be corrected on that.

I also have Safe Browsing enabled and TL will take precedence over it. Upon a hit, if you allow the site, then SB will kick in. That is if both make the detection.

In opening stuff from PhishTank, malc0de, VX Vault, etc. usually both will detect, but sometimes only TL, sometimes only SB. Seat-of-the-pants metrics assigns a ~90% hit rate for the combo. And over the years, TL has protected several dozen times during casual surfing and some by SB, but the latter is relatively new. Note: that's not pr0n surfing. For that they invented Linux. :D

That said, at times MBAM's Malicious Website Protection kicks in when TL or SB didn't. (I never tested MBAM itself; just never thought of doing it.)

Cyberfox is a kick-a browser and with a 3rd gen i7 system and 50 Mbps delivered by a gigahertz LAN and CAT-6, I can't comment on slowdowns as I have none. Neither does it seem to bother my 2nd gen i5 laptop on WiFi.

I couldn't think of browsing teh wubbanitz without all three.

Works OK alongside Ghostery, AdBlock+ and privacy.trackingprotection.enabled.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2015
  9. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Quite detailed. Great to know that @haakon :thumb:

10. haakon

haakon Guest

Here are two samples, malware and phishing, posted up today at 1915 and 1908 UTC respectively, which I opened at 1925 UTC.
    Windows 7 HP SP1 x64 • Cyberfox 64-Intel Portable 41.0.1 • TrafficLight 0.2.23.1-signed

BDTL.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.