Bitdefender Safepay is released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by camarie, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. camarie

camarie Registered Member

Visit Safepay web page for the details !

Cristian Amarie

2. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Thanks for the update. You have done a great job on this.

3. shadek

shadek Registered Member

In the name of science, I will try this one out! :D

I think it's going to be a great addition to AppGuard.

4. Maldoran

Maldoran Registered Member

Thank you.
    I'm going to test the free version.

5. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Yes, free version only for me too. I already use a VPN on all my wireless computers so the paid version of this product is not necessary.

6. Maldoran

Didn't even get to try it.
    During the install you had to use a BD account. :mad:
    Don't want the "perks".
    Didn't allow me to paste in my pw. :thumbd:
    I can't type in a long pw without seeing what I type.
    So uninstalled.

7. camarie

The BD account thing... I don't know if there is software today not using credentials, either FB/gmail/MS/yahoo or proprietary.
    If you uninstalled just because you cannot paste passwords, you should uninstall many other programs, Windows included.

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Does the paid version add VPN? If so does the VPN cover all internet facing apps or does it only support the SafePay browser?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  9. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

wow, guess its not that free.....

10. camarie

Yes, the paid version add VPN, and no, it protects only Safepay browser.

11. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

BitDefender's new free product is essentially a hardened browser developed to secure online banking and shopping activities.

A welcome addition to its security products lineup! :thumb:

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Better to spend a little more for a VPN subscription to protect the whole system.

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Definitely, but it's important for people to understand that Open Wifi is a serious vulnerability that Safepay Free doesn't address - a VPN is required.

14. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

A free Open VPN product like Free Wifi Protector is an excellent adjunct to Safepay Free on a public wifi network. If you connected any place that is not encrypted, its untrusted and non-secure. So both tools can help especially when you're not running your secure wireless network at home or at your place of work. :thumb:

15. camarie

Correct. And Safepay indicates that to the user in the address bar.

16. escalibur

escalibur Registered Member

Has anyone tested does BitDefender scan/jumps in SSL too?

As a BitDefender AntiVirus 2014 Plus user I'm not a big fan of this even the the idea is good.

17. itman

itman Registered Member

Are you saying you had to register with Bitdefender? That is getting to be the norm these days for anything that is "free."

18. itman

itman Registered Member

19. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Some of the issues have to do with the requirements of specific bank sites, eg certificates which work with IE/FF but not the SP browser. This is a compatibility problem caused by the way SafePay is implemented. As to the notion that SafePay is secretly redirecting people to Romanian banks and contains a keylogger, well that's just ridiculous.

20. itman

itman Registered Member

The only third party test I could find on Safepay was by Matousec: http://www.matousec.com/info/reports/Online-Payments-Threats-2.pdf. That test was done last December which would indicate to me that what Matousec tested was the Safepay module incorporated into Bitdefender IS. The standalone version of Safepay was still very much in beta testing at that time. The version of Safepay that Matousec tested by the way was one of three that passed their testing. The other two were Avast IS and Kapersky IS.

Until I see authoritive third party testing of this stand-alone version, I will pass on it. Hopefully MRG will include it in their next online banking software test.

21. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'd like to see third party testing too, but why would you pass on it until then?

22. itman

itman Registered Member

I have been burned way too often on security freeware. For something as critical as online banking protection, I want to be 100% certain it offers the protection it claims. To quote an old American truism, "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."

There is also the question of the effectiveness of universal sand alone bank security software. A few of the more established ones such as Trusteer Rapport have reeked havoc on many a PC. The bank protection that appears to date to offer the best protection with minimal system impact always are incorporated within the IS's firewall protection. That makes a lot of sense if thought about for a while since the two protections work together with minimal external inteference.

Speaking of Trusteer Rapport, I just uninstalled that after I caught it doing massive inbound connections at boot time from the Amazon servers it uses. It was using svchost.exe by the way to do this. Luckily the WIN 7 firewall blocked all those unsolicited inbound connections.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I appreciate your concern. I'm a little less concerned because Safepay has been a component of Bitdefender AV/IS/TS for a while. As to it being free Bitdefender is using the standard model of offering freeware (adware really) as a platform to sell subscriptions - in this case their VPN service - so I'm not worried that there's a hidden cost. Hopefully there will be good third party reviews to confirm this ( or not :) )

Trusteer Rapport is another kettle of fish. I've only used it briefly because I found the impact it had on browsing unacceptable. There is also information on the web about how it can easily be defeated which seemed credible to me, but which Trusteer refused to address IMHO.

24. Maldoran

I can't use those pws either since any pw must be typed in.
    You're right about many progs use an account but there it's possible to paste in the details.
    Safepay does not allow that.
    An exception is Windows itself where,as you say, the pw must be typed in.
    When you type so much wrong letters like me it means a short easy password in such cases.

25. Maldoran

More software demands it now than before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.