bitdefender questions

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tahoma, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

was reading the bitdefender thread below and got interested, so i decided to give it a go with drweb giving way. still got kav45 as a backup scanner though. threw all my malware at it, thats 500 samples. it missed six (kav and drweb find them all, but then again, ive collected these viruses when kav and drweb have found infections + some downloaded samples) i was impressed that it found all the js trojans that nod tends to miss.

ive got some questions:
    1: whats the difference between standard and te pro version ? is it just that pro also got a firewall etc?
    2: how frequent are updates and are they incremental ?
    3: how do i report the samples it missed in my little test to the bd ppl ?
    4: are there any more skins anywhere to choose from ? personally id much prefer a non-skinned skin or windows calssic skin.
    5: which of the processes loaded at startup including services are necessary? i want to get rid of all the uneccesary junk

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

OK Here are your answers....

1)The Pro version has AntiSpam and a half-firewall included
    2)BD updates 3-4 times a day, and yes they are incremental.
    3)You have to quarantine the sample first. Then you can send it. See this:

http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB154-en--How-to-Submit-the-Quarantined-Files.html

4)No idea.
    5)Dont have BD yet so I dont know.

Regards,
    Firecat :D

3. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Why would one thread about BitDefender make you dump your current AV? Was DrWeb performing badly? Were you infected while you had it installed? Unhappy with it?

Seriously, I think you are jumping the gun a bit. If you are happy with your current AV, and it works just fine, why switch everytime a new one is mentioned or mentioned as being improved?

4. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

im just an incurable tester of everything i can get my hands on, thats all

5. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Some say this is a disease. Some say its a hobby. Others say it's just a diversion.

Bear in mind, BitDefender is involved with every process on your system, and is one the only/few? AV's to use APPinit process injections. This process is pretty intrusive, and is usually reserved for hacked up applications like Windowblinds that need to control the process so they can skin it.

I really really wish they would move away from this method. Or have they already? Someone i'm dubious as to if they have. Its quite easy to check as well.

6. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

i noticed this, outpost prompted me time and time again to allow the dll injections. very annoying. back on drweb but it was a pretty pleasant experience. thanks for the replies guys

7. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

I'm surprised they are still using this method. I prefer a create/write/modify system to my AV's rather than one that process injects into everything you do. I do like BitDefender, but I can't deal with the instability the injection causes on many things - especially games.

For now, I have the best of both worlds.. I use Dr.Web, and I use Safe'n'Sec-AV, which gives me the full blown BitDefender 8 engine for on-demand purposes. So no injection there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.