Bitdefender: light on resources?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zeppelin1919, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeppelin1919

zeppelin1919 Registered Member

In this moment I am using Dr.Web trial (AV) + Sygate PF Free (FW).
    I really like to try Bitdefender, but i don't know if it can works on my old pc (Amd Duron 800M - 128M Ram - WIN XP PRO SP2).
    Is better for me to choose Bitdefender AV 10 or Bitdefender IS 10?
    I really like to try Bitdefender 'couse I alwais love its GUI (I used BD8 for 1 year)

Do you think I can do this test or is better for me to keep me Dr.Web and Sygate (they run very good and it is very light on resources).

Thanks a lot for your help and suggests.

zeppelin

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

light on resources, can mean 2 different things.

ram usage: bitdefender IS 10 will use the lowest amount than any other suite.
    system performance: you might notice a 'very slight slowdown'

i would use the IS over the AV, as the IS has better firewall and more features, for not much more in price.

i have to add that avg suite, although uses between 35-50mb ram, is by 'far' the best for performance, and you will notice a significantly faster machine, especially boot times.

bitdefender is a great product, will work no problems im sure with your machine, so try the trial.

if un-installing bitdefender, when it asks you to reboot 'please do it' as you might be left with a corupt windows security centre still saying bitdefender is turned off even though you un-installed it, so make sure to reboot when it tells you to, if you dont and do experience this problem... there is a removal tool from bitdefender, so no worries.

good luck and keep us posted.

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Before thinking of additional software, particularly running BD in real-time, I would recommend increasing your installed RAM on XP to at least 512 MB. You should then be able to trial a wider variety of programs, including AV's.
    If you decide to stay with the same amount of memory, then I would definitely stay with this combination, particularly with Dr Web as your primary AV. However, there may well be better choices than Sygate as a firewall.

With your older system, light footprint software is the key.

4. EsoxLucius

EsoxLucius Registered Member

The official system requirements are:

Code:
    - Pentium II 350 MHz or higher processor
    - Minimum 128 MB of RAM Memory (256 MB recommended)
    - Minimum 60 MB available hard disk space

Operating Environment:
    Windows 2000/XP IE 5.5 (+)
    The performance slowdown isn't noticeably, unless your machine is filled with other software that has resident proccesses in your memory.

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

im suprised xp runs on that machine, try and limit your ram usage.

stick with dr.web / maybe get outpost for firewall for low ram usage.

6. EsoxLucius

EsoxLucius Registered Member

Yeah maybe you should try a Win 2000 sollution. I know I did that with my PII@350, veeeeeeery old but did his job.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

As for a firewall, I ran Kerio 2.1.5 when I only had 128, and later 256 Megs with W98. I never had any trouble. For additional info, I also had BD as my AV.

I still use Kerio 2.1.5 on my laptop. I think it is a very good firewall, and is very light. It does not have bells and whistles, but I have never felt the need for more than it is.

Best,
    Jerry

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

outpost 4 only uses about 6mb ram if memory serves me right, and that does offer great firewall protection with the bells and whistles, sort of. :)

9. zeppelin1919

zeppelin1919 Registered Member

Thank you all for the help.
    I need to upgrade my pc with new ram.

In the next days i will start to try BD 10 AV.
    Then i will post here my impression.

zeppelin

10. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

I hope bitdefender is a good choice for you, but Dr Web has been darn great and I love it, so maybe if needed try Dr Web again.:D

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yayyyy for dr.web :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.