BitDefender IS 10

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Howard Kaikow, Dec 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I've done a trial instaqll of only the AV and spyware.

1. Do I need to keep the shellscan.tsi file in the Temp directory?

2. When right-clicking on a file, BD begins a scan of the entire file system, this is not acceptable.
    When right-clicking on a directory, BD scans on the directory, which is the desired behavior.

2. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

1. Don't know try just renaming it and see what happens
    2. I use BD10 Antivirus, and all the right click options work fine and as stated.

If you are only looking for the AV+AS why not just install Antivirus and save yourself some money :)

3. Howard Kaikow

I've done that, so I'll see what happens when I next boot to the OS wit BD,

Not working here.
    I'll try again.

BD IS was free after rebates, and may still be, at http://www.outpost.com/

4. Howard Kaikow

After renaming the file, I booted to the OS in which BD is installed.
    shellscan.tsi was not recreated, so I guess that it is detritus from the install.
    The behavior is a result of a double bug.

a. The problem occurs when I right-click on a file that fails to open because BD does not use the methods described in http://www.standards.com/index.html?CreateFileFailure.

This is a bug/design flaw in BD.

b. Since BD does not handle such files properly, BD is somehow defaulting to scan, as I recall, the Documents and Settings directory, instead of the file BD failed to open. This is a bug.

5. EsoxLucius

EsoxLucius Registered Member

On your number 2. issue, that is not a bug.
    We've tried to replicate your problem and we didn't succeed, bdlite reports 0 files scanned. You should send the Bdfileinfo.log to support[at]bitdefender.com explain them the issue and ask why is this happening.

As for the shellscan.tsi file, you can safely delete it as you've noticed yourself ;)

6. Howard Kaikow

It sure is a bug. An AV program has to scan anyfile that I can open using the normal Windoze API. Otherwise a malware write might ...

For the files on which this occurs, I can open, move, copy and delete the files using the built-in Windows API.

You would not be able to reproduce the problem without having the source files. But thereb is no need to have the files. I've completly described the problem in http://www.standards.com/index.html?CreateFileFailure.
    BD needs to implement the solution I presented.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.