Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 : evaluating it's security

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gkweb, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

BIS 2013 had very often incredible results for the year 2012 on av-comparatives.org, sometimes reaching 100% on their Real World Test, which is impressive. I double checked on av-test, and they indeed improved their antivirus a lot. They seem to be a little bit over Kaspersky IS 2013 (AV I'm using right now).

I was thinking about trying BIS 2013, and did a last check at matousec, on the Proactive Security Challenge. The 32 bits score is correct, reaching 97% :
    http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

However, the 64 bits score is horribly low, with 9% !
    http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge-64/results.php

How can an antivirus consistently reaches 99%+ on real world test, while at the same time provide no protection at all and have 9% on the proactive security challenge 64 bits ?

If we look at Kaspersky, both av-comparative and matousec have similar results.

Regards,
    Guillaume.

2. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Matousec can't be compared to AV-Comparatives. The first is a HIPS/firewall test that doesn't test against malware, the second is test against malware, not test files that Matousec has decided should be blocked to pass their test.

3. woomera

woomera Registered Member

i wouldnt recommend BIS, their firewall is horrible and not because matousec says so, because i have tested it before myself.
    get BAV and install a free firewall like comodo or privatefirewall.

4. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

I can't wait to see Bullguard 2013 being tested.

BitDefender Sigs, B-Have., Novashield, Commtouch, Agnitum (Outpost Enterprise), Secunia technologies all built in, and a rewrite of the code, it's going to score high in my opinion. Especially on real-world, actual infection testing.

5. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

BullGuard always get sub-par results on AV tests despite having the best engines. It is ALWAYS lacking behind Bitdefender's products surprisingly

just read its reviews, they all SUCK

6. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

So Bitdefender 2013 is no good? I was thinking about putting it on my kids laptop but hmm.

Question. I see Bitdefender (and some other products) say that they have Social Networking protection. What exactly does this do for someone? Or is it just a sales/marketing gimmick?

Thanks.

7. Bodhitree

That's actually not true. I've read many reviews were it was near the top. AVC's most recent RWT had it scoring #2 position, ranking Advanced++ with 3 other products. Also, consider BG2013 hasn't been tested by much of anyone yet, and 2013 has new technologies, and a considerable amount of reworking of the code. I would bet money BG will be a top performer in 2013, if not the top performer. BG2013 is more stable, faster, and has a better FW than BIS, look for yourself.

Most folks don't understand those synthetic tests, much less how to actually test a product properly. For BG to really shine, you need to actually install it, then purposely try to infect a machine. What you will discover is something remarkable, BG blocks roughly 90-100% of the threats before they hit your machine in the HTTP stream. This is very very powerful, and something Bit Defender is not very good at. Keep that in mind.

I respect Languy99's test because they are real-world generally speaking. Bullguard blocked virtually every attempt at infection, and he was 'impressed' by it. But also BG didn't leave any traces for HMP or EmsisoftFree to find, which is rare in his tests; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O5BDnGJPT8

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  8. gkweb

I do not totally agree here.

While they are indeed two different kind of tests, the score of each should more or less match. Indeed, in the Real World Test, all of the AV modules are put to the grill, so is the proactive module. When an AV scores high in the real world test, there is high chances that it's proactive module is pretty good. And indeed it is the case for Kaspersky.

I do not understand how BIS 2013 could score a little higher than Kaspersky in Real World Test, and be probably the best (av-test will tell us), but scores FAR below in the Proactive Test, at the opposite. That does not make sense to me.

I cannot imagine a security product having a useless proactive module on one hand, but on the other hand be top noch in security strenght.

I have checked the test setup of the Real World Test, and the tests are done on Windows XP SP3 (no mention of 64 bits). If we assume that Matousec's tests are more or less correct, that could correlate with BIS 2013 being excellent on 32 bits systems (very good score on both 32 bits tests, Real World & Proactive 32bits), but that would also mean that it offers very poor protection on 64 bits systems (I do not say it is the case!).

Unless we have a Real World Test on a 64 bits system, I think it will be hard to know the truth. The good news is that av-comparative is planning to update their test to 64 bits in 2013.

Meanwhile, I'll try to ask Bitdefender directly.

Regards,
    Guillaume.

9. berryracer

BullGuard scores 97% vs. Bitdefender's 99.9% here = http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php

10. Bodhitree

See what I did in the quote? Clever guy, but I am not easy to mislead. Pretty easy to drop .9% off something, but some of us pay attention.

Also note the test methodology, which doesn't factor BG's strongest aspects, and ignores BD's weakest aspects, that's very important to consider.

11. Trooper

@berryracer was trying to PM you but you have folks blocked unless they are in your buddy list.

Could you buddy me (at least for now) please? :D

Thanks.

12. berryracer

I dont do PMs or personal ****

everything must be discussed on the forums

13. Trooper

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I respectfully disagree. I own BG and it is heavier then BD. It is good but BD seems to finally being able to market the pieces of the puzzle together in a more effective manor. Also, all of their modules are in-house built, where BG basically buys the modules from other vendors and pieces them together.

As far as Top Performer for 2013, nope, I have already designated BD as Top Performer in 2012and 2013. And that aint synthetic.;)

15. berryracer

It's a useless marketing gimmick.

But noone buys Bitdefender because of it, they buy it because it is the best month after month consistently on the AV Comparative tests and it is super light

When version 2013 was released it was very buggy and made my system sometimes act weird as if it was so slow running in slow motion, or media player classic would just crash.

I then tried every single AV out there and came back to Bitdefender. The good news is, with their recent updates, all the bugs were fixed and it remains the best IMHO

16. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Such as?

17. Bodhitree

That, I feel is one of the stronger points of BG. Quite honestly, they use the most effective modules they can find. It's also much more difficult to circumvent a variety of different modules from different developers, than it is to circumvent a single sourced set of tools. They'd have to understand how to bypass Commtouch resources, then bypass BD sigs and B-Have, then bypass Novashield, and then finally bypass the inhouse engines BG uses. Not an easy task, and this increases security.

18. Trooper

Thanks for your reply. I am thinking about getting it for my kids shared laptop, as I would good protection on it.

Do you know of any deals on it?

As for the social networking piece, that is what I figured. I will create another thread for that.

Cheers.

19. berryracer

Depends on your region.

I personally have a 7 year license for 5 PCs. I kept on renewing my license till I got so much credit on my account

choose how many pcs you want the license for and the period and see what you get

http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/internet-security.html

PS: I wouldn't buy it from other vendors to ensure i can get a refund from Bitdefender should anything go wrong and to have the versatility of them being able to modify my license, like upgrading it and such to more users

=====================================================================================================
    Here it is for only $15 USD = http://store.majorgeeks.com/?act=search&brand=325

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  20. Arin

Arin Registered Member

You asked a valid question. Even though it seems your thread got hijacked by BG vs BD debate, when you have the answer, please do share it with us.

There is a gap of almost a year between the 32bit and 64bit test. Is it possible that BD might have whitelisted the Matousec files? I haven't gone through Matousec's agenda thoroughly but I think the files are not malicious though simulates certain malicious behaviors. Is it enough to trigger the modern day HIPS?

I wish to have a meaningful discussion on this rather than my-rooster-is-bigger-than-your-cat debate.

21. Trooper

Thanks for the information. It appears the deal you linked to is about 30 US dollars though. Guess I missed out, bummer.

Thanks again.

22. gkweb

Matousec's files should definitely trigger a proactive defense block, "Active Virus Control" in the case of Bitdefender, and it does if we look at the Proactive Security Challenge 32 bits (Bitdefender scores very good).

It just seems that on a 64 bits OS it might not perform as good as in 32 bits, but it ought to be confirmed by a 64 bits Real World Test (from av-comparatives). Kaspersky 2012 was in that case, very good on 32 bits but very poor on 64 bits, the 2013 version fixed that.

I asked Bitdefender, did not received an answer yet.

EDIT : The AV-TEST tests where Bitdefender is first, on top of Kaspersky, is on Windows 7, but still 32 bits :
    http://www.av-test.org/no_cache/en/tests/test-reports/?tx_avtestreports_pi1[report_no]=123671

Regards,
    Guillaume.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  23. Trooper

Thank you for the link. I purchased it last night. Will try to set it up this weekend.

Cheers and Happy New Year man! :cool:

24. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

what is best to take

Bitdefender®
    Total Security 2013

or Bitdefender®
    Internet Security 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.